Saturday 15 February 2020

A Most Memorable Dinner at the Cassia Lodge in Kampala, Uganda


Downtown Kampala, Uganda, Africa




This was our second full day in Kampala, Uganda.  We went downtown to the bookshop area trying to buy books for the school where we are going next week.









Kampala Blvd, Kampala, Uganda
 V. asked me to take a look at the books they were buying for the school while others went to a nearby restaurant for lunch. By the time I was finished with my task, my teammates had already gone. I did not know where exactly they were so I was up and down the corner of the street looking for them.









It was a busy intersection, lots of people were walking by, buying and selling. A woman sitting outside mending her store saw me walking by a couple of times asked me if I was looking for my friends. I replied yes. She volunteered and pointed me to the restaurant where my friends went. What a nice lady, observant and helpful!


A bumpy ride to the restaurant in Kanpala
Later on in the evening, we had reservations for dinner at a nice restaurant .

However, we had bumpy roads going all the way there. Frederick, our driver told us that this type of  road is called the Ugandan Massage – as you ride in the car, your body is thrown up and down over these undulating bumps, it gives you a massage the whole time you are on it.

 I love how the Ugandans deal with challenging situations and admire their great sense of humor!











The restaurant  we went to was called Cassia Lodge.















With beautiful grounds, it has a hotel attached to it.







Located on top of a hill overlooking Lake Victoria, Cassisa Lodge allows patrons a spectacular view of the breathtaking scenery below from its  terrace!







View of Kampala from top of the hill



When we landed at the Uganda airport, we saw a huge sign proclaiming  - The Pearl of Africa. I was not sure why. 











A breathtaking view of Kampala with Lake Victoria in the background
Now with this open vista right in front of our eyes, a scenery filled with emerald green fields, mountains ranges in the distance and sprinkling blue water, it was simply spectacular!


I started to understand why Uganda is called as the Pearl of Africa.





We met Abrianna, Jonah's eldest 6 year old daughter, a smart, articulate little girl at the dinner.













We also celebrated Muhai and Valerie’s birthday at the dinner. Rose had arranged a birthday cake with candles.







But the breezes were too much and we couldn't keep the candles burning long enough for V. to blow them.






It was an enjoyable dinner and birthday celebration at a beautiful setting!












The dinner at the restaurant on the top of the hill with my volunteer work friends in Uganda was one of the most memorable dinners I have ever had!


R.T.
Cassia Lodge
Kampala, Uganda

No comments:

Post a Comment