Monday 9 March 2020

Volunteering at Green Hill, a Rural Primary School in Uganda, Africa





We went to Green Hill Primary School this morning. 



Though the road was drier than yesterday, it was bumpy, with big pot poles, at times with drenches and large rocks scattered here and there. It was not an easy ride at all.








We arrived at the school and had our tasks divided. I went and taught the kids under a tree that would give me some shade from the hot African sun while the rest of the team members distributed the menses kits to the P7 and P6 girls as well as teaching them how to use and clean the reusable pads.



The boys carried our suitcases and we also made a bag for each of them as well. There were so many kids coming to get the gifts that we ran out eventually after handing out over 600 packages.




Each time we finished giving out the menses kits to the girls, they broke into songs and dances before leaving us. It was touching.

We had our lunch catered and ate under a mango tree giving us a lot of shade. We were busy dealing with so many kids wanting gifts from us.
Meeting students at Green Hill Primary School in Uganda

In the afternoon, I taught a P7 class with 87 students and later a P6 class with over 60 students. I have never taught an elementary class with this many students. Though it was in an open classroom with such large number of pupils, they were quiet, attentive and engaged. 





There was no disruption, no misbehavior nor any disrespectful comments among the students. It was refreshing and fun teaching in front of very polite children!





I would be providing the teachers with a full day professional development activities tomorrow. I have been preparing before our arrival in Uganda. 

Recently been informed that there would be no electricity at the school, I realized that I would be unable to use any of the PPT I have prepared. Knowing that I would be teaching tomorrow without any technical equipment,
Distributing snacks to students in Uganda
my team mates helped me write down some teaching material on large chart paper. 

Besides helping to distribute snacks to students, I was excited about the teacher training sessions, I was up well past midnight finishing my preparations before retiring for bed. 

R.T.
Kaliro, Uganda
Africa
Day 9

No comments:

Post a Comment