Wednesday 4 March 2020

Arts and Crafts Shopping in Jinja, Uganda

Downtown Jinja, Uganda
This was Sunday and this morning together with two of my team mates, we attended our first Sunday Service in Jinja, Africa!

After the service, we came back to our resort. I went for a swim in the pool. What a nice feeling stretching my arms and legs in the warm African water!

Add caption











Frederick came in the afternoon taking us to the town center of Jinja .

A colourful building in downtown Jinja, Uganda




Jinja is a city about 70km from Kampala, the capital city.












With about 90,000 inhabitants,  Jinja is a town with numerous NGOs, therefore a lot more expatriates living and working here which means more services, more shops, hotels and cafes!







Lots of arts and crafts shops in Jinja





We went to the artsy part of the city where the street was lined with shops selling arts and crafts, souvenirs and artwork.


A toy car made of recycled bottle caps



Ugandan artists are good at using recycling material to create new items.












A toy plane made of recycled bottled caps


Both the toy car and toy plane were created out of old bottle caps.









We found good prices for many arts and crafts item in Jinja stores







We needed to buy a number of baskets and bags to bring back to Canada so that we could sell them in our fundraising events to help our charity work in Africa.









We found many paintings by local artists on the streets of Jinja







For my personal shopping, I bought a stool with a map of Africa etched on a leather seat. Loved it!










I believe in supporting local artists so I bought some giraffe ear rings for my friends in Canada as well as an original painting by a local artist.















A British colony before, downtown Jinja has a few European buildings.











There were a few chic and modern cafes too!
A nice modern cafe in downtown Jinja




We went in and had a coffee and pastry break.











We bought some soaps at the open market in Jinja, Uganda



After our coffee break, we went to a local outdoor market and bought soaps and underwear for the students at the school we would be visiting next week.







I took a much needed swim in the resort pool!



After a busy afternoon shopping for, we went back to the Resort.

The highlight of my day was able to have a three way phone call with my son and my husband! The first time ever in a foreign country. Praise God!








I had a relaxing evening as I could catch up writing about the activities we did for the last few days.








I had a good chat with one of the staff members




I was sitting at the bar writing and Sarah, the staff member talked to me about life in Canada.









A street artist and me in Jinja, Uganda



I enjoyed connecting with the local people such as the street artist and this young woman.

I wish them all the best in their future!


R.T.
Jinja, Uganda
Day 7

No comments:

Post a Comment