Tuesday 26 September 2017

More Effective Strategies to Help Motivate Reluctant Writers

Here are more good strategies to motivate reluctant writers:


1. Playing games - One of the games I played with students was having  2-6 students standing together in a circle. Each put  a finger out to the centre of the circle.  I put an object ( a ball or a pen, anything) sitting on those fingers. With the object resting on all the fingers, the students worked together to lower or raise  the object without it falling off the fingers. It was a fun game for students. 

After the game, students were asked to write about the game and what they liked about it.

2. Reading a Book to students

In one particular lesson, I read to students a story that talked about a scary event which happened in a child's family. The students liked this story and we had a discussion afterwards about the scary things that happened in their lives.  



I asked students to take turn to share their scary experiences and also the things that were frightening to them. Share they did!

After hearing everyone's sharing, then students started writing their own scary story. Wow! They liked this topic and they wrote and wrote!







3. A Word Search Activity

I got a word search book with various topics. I went through the book and found the topics in which I thought my students would be interested.  I photocopied that particular page and distributed to students to do the word search.  I asked students to work in pairs so that they could discuss and had more interactions with each other. They did and enjoyed this activity.

 I went over the new words with students making sure that they knew the words and their meaning before they started looking for them in the Word Search.

After the word search activity, students were asked to write a story incorporating the words they had just learned and finished searching.







All the students were engaged in their writing activity including those reluctant writers in my class.

R.T.
Toronto
Picture credit - Google images

No comments:

Post a Comment