Thursday 21 September 2017

Effective Strategies to Motivate Reluctant Students to Write

Very often, I have many parents and teachers expressing their frustration of gettng their children to write. Recently, I demonstrated at a learning centre on how to help students who found writing difficult.

Writing is like exercising. You cannot just go in and start writing. It is best to start with some warm up activities such as a discussion with students or playing a game with them. In the next few days, I will write about some of the effective strategies I have used to successfully motivate reluctant writers to get interested in writing.

One of the activities I used was:

A Game  - Playing a game to get students excited about the lesson



There are many games one can play with the children in class or at home to get their attention and interested in the lesson that comes after. One such game is Air Ping Pong.



I brought with me a package of straws and some ping pong balls. Students played a game of air ping pong on their desk with a partner. They had fun; they were happy and excited about the game.


Students playing air ping pong with a partner
After we played the games for a few minutes, we sat at the table and talked about the game. 

We discussed ideas of what were the material needed for the game, the rules to follow, strategies used to win and how did they feel about the game etc.

4.     Some students drew a picture of the game. I asked them to describe in their writing the things needed for the game, the rules, how to play it etc. 
\
      My students responded to this game well and wrote a lot to describe this game and how they felt about it.  
I     Below is another entry I did with more strategies to motivate students to write.

http://rtam1206.blogspot.ca/2017/09/more-effective-strategies-to-help.html
      
      R.T.
      Love to teach!
      Toronto, Ontario
      Picture credit - Google Images

P









No comments:

Post a Comment