Tuesday 24 March 2015

Taking Time Off for a Highschool Reunion Party!

Once a  year, E. comes home in the middle of winter, usually during the superbowl weekend for his high school reunion party in the Simcoe cottage country area.


This year, there was no exception!  ( Tough it was not during the superbowl weekend but it did happen!) Due to the heavy snow and extreme cold temperature, I thought this annual reunion might not happen. But to my great surprise, when I called E. a few weeks ago, he said that he was coming home on Thursday in order to attend this weekend party.

E. graduated from high school more than a decade ago. But the guys with whom he went to school still find time and get together to do the guys things every year. They come not merely within the Toronto vicinity, but from all over; some even flew back from England to attend this guys' annual event! 

However, this was the first time, E. was able to make it for the entire weekend by coming back to Toronto before the weekend. When he was working in New York, his work schedule was so hectic that he could hardly take any time off from work, always leaving just at the very last minute for any event.

I could see the difference between the pace of work between the east and the west coast.
When I visited San Francisco a few years ago, I ran into a lawyer at a cafe and we were talking about the different work atmosphere between the two coasts in the U.S.   When I told her that my son was working seven days a week and for 14 hours a day at a big NY law firm, she shook her head and told me about the more relaxing attitude west coast people had towards work. I could not believe it when she told me that she left work at the office on Fridays; she had the weekend to herself and many other professional people do the same thing on the west coast.

Now that E. is working in San Fransisco; he seems to have a bit more time off, travels more and have more fun.

Not only was he able to take the entire weekend off from work, he was able to leave work on Thursday and made a long weekend out of it! That was unheard of when he was working in New York!

I am delight that his work schedule is less hectic now and thank God for answering my prayers!

R.T.
Grateful in  Toronto 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment