Sunday 15 March 2015

Learning about the Unpredictable Behaviour of Children with Autism

We have been going to visit a family with a child born with autism for the past little while.
The more I get to know the family, the more admiration I have for the family, especially for the mother who seems to be working non stop for the child.

 People with autism have problems communicating with others. Some are much more severe than the other. The difficulty for autistic children is their inability to express themselves. They can be uncomfortable, or in pain, but they lack the ability to let their caregivers or others know how they are feeling resulting in a great deal of frustration for them.  That feeling of frustration may lead to some unpredictable violent behaviour such as screaming, hitting, or even biting.

We went to visit our friend this afternoon. The mother informed me that E. was in school today and there was a new teacher who didn't know E. well enough and kept her doing some work that was a little too difficult without giving her a break. E. then bit a child sitting beside her.

Lucy, E.' s mother, warned me that I should not be reading with her for too long since she was not in a good mood. I went to say hi to E. and gave her a big hug. But as soon as our hug was over, E. said to me," Good Bye!"

Lucy beckoned me from the kitchen to leave E. alone. I did.  Lucy and I had some tea in the sitting room and she explained to me that the Good Bye from Erin was the signal that she wanted a break from people and wished to be left alone.  If I had persisted in staying, she might break out in some aggressive behaviour such as a temper tantrum or biting other people.

I have so much to learn about autistic children! I am also developing more appreciation and respect for the parents each time I visit the family. How much the parents have to go through and the huge challenges they face looking after their children with special needs 24/7!

I wish there was something or some way my husband and I can do to help these parents!

R.T.
Thornhill, Ontario

No comments:

Post a Comment