Tuesday 17 March 2015

How to Prepare for a Colonoscopy at the Hospital

Colon cancer is one of the most treatable cancers when diagnosed early enough.
Canadians are lucky as we have universal health coverage and we can have our annual health check up at our family doctors just by making an appointment at the clinic.

My doctor made an appointment for me a few months ago and I had an appointment at the East Toronto General Hospital near the Coxwell Ave subway station for this medical procedure recently.

However, one cannot go for a Colonoscopy procedure without preparation. I was glad that I read the instructions my doctor gave me as I had to start the preparation for it two days beforehand.
 
The following were the preparations I needed to do for a Colonoscopy:

1. Two days before the Colonoscopy - I was not to eat any foods that were high in fibre, seeds, nuts or skins.

2. I need to purchase Dulcolax and Pico Salax from a pharmacy - no prescription needed.
Only clear liquids were allowed on the day and day before the Colonoscopy
When I went to our neighbourhood pharmacy, I was able to find Dulcolax easily on the shelf. However, I could not find Pico Salax anywhere. Later, I found out that Pico Salax was kept with the pharmacist and you had to ask for it.

3. On the day before the Colonoscopy - I could not have any solid food the whole day, but clear liquids only which included consomme/ broth, yellow or green jello, water, apple juice, white grape juice, black tea/ coffee, ginger ale, soda water, sports drinks such as Gatorade ( not read or purple). Sports drinks were strongly recommended.

4. Following the instructions, I took  Dulclax and Pico Salax the day before the procedure, and again on the morning taking Pico Salax early. I needed to drink about 2-3 litres of clear liquid after taking the medications which cleared the bowel. Preparing for the many impending trips to the washroom I did not go to work.

There was no drinking allowed three hours before arriving at the hospital for the procedure.

5. The nursing team was very gentle and kind. After I registered at the front desk, I went up to the proper floor, and I changed into a hospital gown. After waiting for a few minutes in the waiting room, I was put on a bed, and sedated during the examination. Half an hour later, I woke up in the recovery room. It was that easy!  No pain and nothing!

Prior to the procedure, I was advised that one should not operate any machinery or dive right after a Colonoscopy due to the effects of the sedation. I must have someone to pick me up from the hospital after the procedure. Therefore, my dear husband was there waiting for me.

It will be another five years before I would have another Colonoscopy again!

R.T.
ETGH
Toronto

No comments:

Post a Comment