Thursday 12 March 2015

Cultural Cafe - A special Cafe Run by Viusally Impaired People

Customers waiting for their orders


We have been to the Cultural Cafe a few times, and each time I go, I like this place better.
The staff is really friendly.

I love to eat and try different places. But when I go for tea or desserts, I always feel guilty as I don't think I should be eating and putting on the extra pounds.




Great desserts served at the Cultural Cafe



However, I don't feel bad when I stop at the Cultural Cafe to enjoy a coffee and have something to eat as I know that my patronage at this establishment is for a good cause.







VIP - Visually Impaired People serving customers - Cultural Cafe


Cultural Cafe is not your regular cafe restaurant.

Located within the 105 Gibson Centre, ( 105 Gibson Drive, Markham), it was opened about a year ago,  run by VIPs - Visually Impaired People.









Menu of the Cultural Cafe



When it was first opened, the service at the cafe was a little slow at times.  ( understandably so as most of the staff is visually impaired)  and the menu selection was very limited.

 A year later, things have improved.






The Cultural Cafe at 105 Gibson Centre, Markham




This afternoon, my friends and I had a lunch meeting and we decided to have it at the Cultural Cafe. We were not disappointed!








V.I.P. - visually impaired people at work at Cultural Cafe





I got there at around 11:15a.m. and there were a few  people working at the Cafe, some of whom were  V.I.P. - Visually Impaired People.

I placed my order with M. who greeted me cheerfully by my name.







The Lunch Combo I ordered


 The Cafe has become one of my favorite places to have a bite and M. recognized my voice right away.
While I was waiting, I accessed the wi fi in the building and checked my emails.

I was given a mug and helped myself to a flavorful tea. Then my beef sandwich served with cheese, fresh lettuce and sliced tomatoes was ready.

Since I ordered a lunch combo, it also came with a bowl of freshly homemade split pea soup. 

A personal pizza - my favourite




The delicious home made style soup and sandwich lunch was $6.00! It was yuummy good!


My friends arrived.  They  too ordered a lunch combo like mine and a personal pizza which was burning hot as each pizza was baked fresh when ordered and it just came out of the oven!





Cultural Cafe - A great place for lunch and a meeting too!





 Enjoying our delicious lunch in a relaxing and unhurried environment, we were able to have our lunch meeting, retrieve information using  the internet and got our work done at the Cultural Cafe!



Rev. Danny works hard to promote Cultural Cafe



Cultural Cafe is a social enterprise, started by Rev. Danny who lost his sight not long after he immigrated to Canada.


Rather than allowing himself to become bitter and depressed by his physical disability, Rev. Danny initiated a great ministry helping other visually impaired people to find meaningful employment in the community.

Sweetie - Pastor Danny's faithful guide dog at the Cultural Cafe





Cultural Cafe is a blessing to many people and I would encourage you to go, visit and have a bite there too!

R.T.
Cultural Cafe
105 Gibson Centre
Markham, Ontario

No comments:

Post a Comment