Friday 27 March 2015

How to Fix a Missing Front Tooth in An Emergency Situation?

I have been blessed with some good genes from my parents as I seldom have problems with my teeth or cavities.

However, when I went out for dinner last week, I bit on some hard food and it felt a little strange in my mouth. Before I realized it, my front tooth was broken and I caught the piece in my hand. There was a big gap in my front teeth!

I called my dentist right away. He was really nice, squeezed me in for an appointment the next day at 5:30pm and fixed it for me. Dr. Karim told me that to fix my tooth permanently, I would need dental surgery which would take a much longer appointment. Since he was going away the next day for the March Break, he fixed it temporarily, cementing my broken tooth back so that I would not have to face the world without my front tooth on the weekend.

I was happy for the temporary solution and fulfilled my speaking engagement out of town on the weekend.

However, after a few days, my temporary front tooth fell out! Since Dr. Karim was out of town for the March Break holiday for the whole week, I had to call the emergency dentist downtown. I made the trip and my broken tooth was cemented back by another dentist for Can.$ 45.00.  Same as Dr. Karim, he did warn me that this temporary fix was for look only, and that I could not eat with my front teeth at all.

My front tooth broke after I bit on something hard during eating
I followed all the instructions and was very careful. The following week, I went to my part time work as usual. Just before I got out of the house, my front tooth fell out for the third time!

 I was on my way out for an important meeting and I had no time to get my tooth cemented back. I hated the thought of facing my staff and meeting other people with a big hole in my front teeth.

Chewing gum filled the hole in my missing front tooth!
What should I do without my front tooth when I had to go to work?  A light bulb went on in my head and I had an idea for my problem!

Chewing gum!  I have seen people using chewing gums to stick something together in movies. I could fill the hole with chewing gum!  After unwrapping a couple pieces of white coloured chewing gum, I chewed them in my mouth over and over again.

Slowly and carefully, I let the chewing gum fill the hole between my teeth. After a little while, the pieces of gum took shape and they stuck between my teeth.

The chewing gum filled the big gap in my front teeth!
I looked into the mirror and smiled! There, the big black hole in my front teeth disappeared! It worked!

Now, I could smile! Feeling less self conscious, I could face the world again! That pieces of gum stuck between my teeth and lasted me for the whole day while I was in the office. I was able to meet with staff and conduct my professional meetings with important clients without a big hole in my front teeth!

 Although, I did have to go to the washroom to fix the pieces of gum a few times during the day to make sure that they stayed on properly. The chewing gum helped me out in an emergency situation when I had to face the public before I could get to a dentist.

Now, I know, when I travel, I would not leave home without my white chewing gum!

R.T.
Toronto
p.s. I do look forward to to my dental surgery at the end of March so that my front missing tooth can be fixed permanently!

1 comment:

  1. What a creative solution! And it looks great too. There are some products on the market that you maybe could use to adhere your temporary tooth to your gums for the time being, but the unfortunate thing is that a lot of those products contain all kinds of chemicals and products that could be harmful to your health. Great job!

    Felipe Roberson @ Philly Dentist

    ReplyDelete