Monday 25 November 2013

Getting to Know Our Neighbour in Penonome


It feels great to learn about the cultures of the country we are visiting.












In Penonome, Panama, I have learned many things about the way of life, how people live during our two week stay here.
We have also learned about the weather pattern in the tropics.

Since we arrived here, we have noticed  it usually starts with a nice bright sunny day around 5:30-6:00a.m.  Then comes the afternoon, it raines pretty well everyday here at around the same time: between 12:00p.m - 3:00pm, not drizzle, but pouring rain.

As I am learning more about Panama, I aslo feel more confident to start communcating with the local people with my very limited Spanish.



We have been staying at the church house and our backyard is back to back to our neighbour's.

Last time when I was here, I didn't communicate with them as I had littel knowledge of Spanish. Since I have learned some Spanish, this time I am making an effort to communicate with the local people

This monring the family with the kids were playing outside in their sun hat.

I took the opportuity, went out and introduced myself in Spanish.




The lady of the house's name is Cathy, her little daughter is called Stephine, the baby is Estella and the teenaged boy\s  name is Josie.

With the Spanish book in my hand, I tried my best to communicate with the church neighbour.  We wanted them  to know that we were friendly people and wanted to be their friends.

 I told them that we were from Canada and staying here for a little while. They were pleasantly surprised at my effort to converse with them.

At the end of our brief conversation, I gave the little girl a small toy ball with the Maple Leaf on it and shared some treats with the family. The little one smiled at me and she and her mother looked very happy.

I think I have started to make some friends in Penonome, Panama! I do hope that I would get to know them better once when my Spanish improves!

R.T.
Penonome, Panama

No comments:

Post a Comment