Monday 19 June 2017

How to Make a Low Maintenance Cactus Container Garden at Home

I have recently developed a real appreciation and love for cactus plants. I do not have a green thumb and the house plants under my care do not usually last  long as I often forget to water them.


After admiring many beautiful cactus container plants, I decided to try and made some at home.






After some research, I gathered the following material to create some container gardens at home:





1.  Glass containers or wide mouth jars -
     I picked out some old used glass jars lying          around my house and bought some in thrift
    stores.  .









2. Pebbles or small garden rocks - I got some small rocks from my garden and  washed them with detergent, water and dried them. I did not want bugs crawling out from my container garden.

If you buy the pebbles from a craft store, you won't have to wash them.

The small rocks/ pebbles went in first int the bottom of the glass containers.







3. Dry moss - After the small rocks, the second layer to go into the glass container was the green moss.

The moss would retain water and moisture better for the plants.


















4. Cactus Soil - The third layer that went into the glass container was some special potting soil for cactus plants.















5. A few baby cactus plants - I bought a variety of baby cacti when they were on sale. They ranged from $2.99 - 4.99 a plant.















7.  Choosing the right size glass containers, my    friend and I placed the different cacti in the appropriate jars.
















8. Decorative stones - Last to go in was the decorative stones on the top of the soil.
You can buy different colour of decorative stones that go with the decor in you home.















Using a spoon and carefully, we put the decorative stones in the jars for the final touches.







Viola!  In less than an hour, we put together  five beautiful cactus container gardens!




























Now these low maintenance cactus container gardens are placed on the coffee table and dining room table as decorations in our home.











We made these container gardens in April,
I only watered them lightly once so far.

They looked healthy and they are growing well!








Susan, our visitor from Germany, was happy and proud to have learned how to make these desert plant decorations during her stay at our home.

She wanted to make some for her house too. It was a fun activity for both of us!


R.T.
Toronto


No comments:

Post a Comment