Thursday 8 October 2015

Exercises for Building Upper Body Strength

Medicine Ball Slams
Strength Building Exercises

I haven't been to the gym for a little while and I don't feel good. My hands feel weak and my back hurts.
A couple of years ago, my lower back hurt so much that I had to  endure a lot of pain and had difficulty getting in and out of a car. I went to my doctor who laid put two options in for me:
Push Up on the Smith Machine
1.         Attend  physiotherapy sessions minimum two to three times a week to ease the pain
         Or
2.    Find a personal trainer who could customize an exercise program for me to strengthen my muscles.

Lat Pull Down
I pondered over the options. Since our health system only paid a fraction of the cost for physiotherapy sessions, I would still have to pay at least 2/3 of the cost. With that amount of money out of my own pocket, the physio would only target the aching part of my body. What about the rest? With an aging body, the rest of it would progressively get weakened and worse. 

Body Plank



Agility Ladder
But if I opted for the personal trainer program, she/ he would design a program that would not simply reduce pain but also strengthen my entire body. The difference in the cost is not phenomenal, therefore, I chose the personal trainer option.

I never regret it once!

I feel good and stronger each time upon finishing my session with my trainer.
Today’s  exercise program targeted  my upper body helping me to build muscles and strength. There were two sets of exercises:

Bicep Curls

Circuit 1

Medicine Ball Slam – 45 seconds
Push up on the Smith Machine – 12 times
Lat Pull Down Machine – 12 times
Body Plank ( on exercise mat) – 1 minute and 15 seconds

Circuit 2

a. Agility ladder – running in and out, back and forth 3 times
Walking lurch with weights ( carrying a 7.5 lb weight on each hand) – 20 times
Triceps Pulls
b. Bicep curls – 10 lbs on each hand – 20 times
c. Triceps pulls on the Dual Adjustable Pulley Machine – 12 times
d, Side planks ( on exercise mat) – each side for 30 seconds
Of the two circuits, I found the body plank the hardest. It was not easy supporting my entire body weight on two elbows. I was burning!!!

Side Plank







However, I do look forward to building enough strength so that I could lift some weights. That would be fun!!!  
  
R.T.
Women’s Gym
Don Mills, Toronto
Pictures from Google Images

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for giving us the opportunity for leaving comments, this made possible for us to share our profile with you. haute her tips for girls

    ReplyDelete