Monday 13 May 2013

Cherry Blossoms at High Park, Toronto

One of My Most Favorite Places - High Park, Toronto
A couple of Fridays ago, I heard on the CBC ( Canadian Broadcasting Company, an excellent radio station!!!)  that particular weekend would be the best time to see the cherry blossom at High Park in Toronto.

That Friday happened to be a really nice day with temperatures around 18 degree C. I called my mother living by herself at the St. Paul Senior Apartment. Having been cooped up in an apartment all winter long, my mother loved the idea of walking around in a park.



Cherry Blossoms were in Full Bloom Last Week
So I picked her up and we took the subway to High Park.

High Park, Toronto, is a beautiful spacious parkland with about 450 acres of land. I have been to the Central Park of New York City. To me, our local High Park rivals the Central Park of the Big Apple. High Park is just as accessible by public transit.

We took the subway and got off at the High Park Station on the Bloor line and we were there!!!! No traffic congestion, no parking headaches!




Lots of People Went to High Park to Enjoy the Cherry Blooms
It was marvelous being outdoors, breathing air filled with the smell of spring and enjoying the sight of fresh sprouting green leaves and branches bursting their ways out of ground.

There were kids riding their bikes, elderly folks holding hands strolling along the walking paths, numerous groups of young people sitting in circles, laughing and enjoying their picnic lunches and yes those sun-starved souls sprawling on the green lawn with their blankets and soaking hungrily in the afternoon sun.

 It was only a Friday afternoon, still a working day. We were surprised to see the number of people in the park enjoying a gorgeous spring day.


Ah, people were here to admire the full blooms of the cherry blossoms. There were a full hill of those beautiful pink and white flowers.

It was magnificent and quite a sight!I have lived in Toronto for the past thirty some years, yet this was the first time I took time out to enjoy the flowers!



 How many beautiful days like this have I missed in the past? I wondered why we did not bring our children here every year to enjoy this wonderful scenery and God's gift to man.

Though eighty seven years old, my mom was able to strolled around the park,  invigorated by the sight and sound of  nature and all the beautiful plants around her. It is not easy for an elderly person walking for a few hours and not overcome by exhaustion.

I was careful making sure that we took a few breaks in between, sipping tea, refueling ourselves with snacks and later dining in the outdoor restaurant enjoying barbeque ribs, my mother's favourite dish.  My husband also came after work and joined us in the restaurant.

 My mom and I had such a good time in High Park that I will treasure this fond memory in the years to come!

R.T.
High Park, Toronto  

No comments:

Post a Comment