Thursday 11 August 2022

Enjoying a Lazy Summer Day with Mom in Stouffville, Ontario

July 31, 2022 

 New tenants will be moving into the downtown condo on August 1. We needed to be downtown and get everything ready. So glad that we found a couple of nice Spanish speaking cleaning ladies, Miriam and her sister have been doing the cleaning for us. 

 We were there yesterday having a relaxing day while Miriam came with her daughter around 230pm and did their magic with the condo. It was nice sleeping over there for a couple of nights. We went from E. condo from downtown this morning to visit Mom in Stouffville.

 
Mom & me sitting outside

By the time I got there, Mary, the PSW already fed Mom who ate a good lunch today. It was a hot summer day. I dressed mom properly and wheeled her outside to enjoy some sun and breezes. Mom fell asleep in her wheel chair. I just sat beside her, holding her hand. By now, her right hand has started to become swollen as well. I knew my mom would soon depart from this world. I just prayed that she would go without much pain. 

 Mom was sleeping most of the time while we were sitting under the gazebo, She awoke from her nap from time to time. I sat beside her enjoying my time with her, the last few precious moments I would have with my mother. We looked out to the pond where birds were flying over the quiet water in this hot summer heat. Mom’s eyesight has deteriorated. I pointed out the birds flying in formation over the pond; she saw them and flashed me a smile, a rare sight these days.


 Mom is tired easily and in pain from her cancer these days. I kept asking her if she was tired and would prefer to go inside. She gave me a definitive no and wanted to stay outside to enjoy the summer day. It is painful watching your loved one slowly dying. But I am privileged that I could be there with my mom, supporting her, holding her hands and loving her in her last days. 

 

R.T. Stoffville, Ontario

2 comments: