Tuesday 7 February 2017

What Do Kids Say About those New Year Red Envelopes?

The women in our extended family posted for a New Year picture with Mom 

Some of the cousins in their cute New Year outfits
Mom and some of her great grandchildren 
                                                                                                                                                           

  We had our big fat family New Year luncheon a couple of weeks ago. The kids came, almost everyone dressed in their Chinese New Year outfits.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

  This is a time very much like our Christmas time in North America. Kids are happy, looking forward to wearing the new year outfit, attending the family dinners, seeing their relative and cousins again.


Kids start receiving red envelopes when they are still babies
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

  The best part during Lunar New Year as children, is getting the red packets which married couples give out to all the kids and single people.










Both dad & daughter dressed in Chinese New Year Outfits

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 





    I remember it well when I was a kid; it was so exciting to receive red packets from the adults.

We used to have a competition among us to see who got the most red packets.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          


 
             
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Henry and grandpa
                                                                                                                                                                                                           
 In the Chinese tradition, children start receiving these red envelopes as young as an infant.



This year, we have two newborns in our family, Henry and Theodore receiving their New Year red envelopes for the first time.



Theo came in a rooster outfit for his first Chinese New Year



                                                                   


 Though still in their infancy, babies could sense that when families get together to celebrate Chinese New Year, it is a very special and joyous time.

Here Theodore received his first red envelope at the New Year luncheon a few weeks ago.

"OK," He thought," This is cool, my first red envelope!"







Theo displayed his delight & excitement by kicking his feet; he was ready to jump off!


                                                                           
 As more relatives arrived, Theo was given more red envelopes.

He appeared to know that he was getting something good in these red packets.

So excited was Theo that he kept kicking his two little feet saying" I don't want to be sitting here. I want to get out and go to all my aunties and uncles to get the red envelopes myself!!!"
                  

These two cousins met at the New Year luncheon.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Over at the other side of the restaurant, these two older cousins met and they had a conversation also about the red envelopes.


 Lu: " Hi, Cousin Harper, how are you?  I like Chinese New Year. Do you?  Look at all the red envelopes I got!",

Lu waving and showing off what's in his hand.



Harp: "Hi, Cousin Lu, I am fine? And you?  Do u like my Chinese dress?  Yes, I  love Chinese New Year. I got a few of those red envelopes in my hand too!"

Harp was holding on tightly what were in her hand.



















Lu:

"Ya, I like your dress.  BTW, I think if we stay still for the pictures, great grandma and my parents may give me a bonus red packet."


Harp : "You really think so? That'll be cool!."











Harp:

"Lu, Come closer. I want to tell u something. I am getting a lot of red envelopes this year. I plan to spend it all on princess dresses! Please don't tell my mom and dad."














Waving the red envelopes in his hand, Lu proudly declared:

 "Nope, no clothes for me. I' ll spend it all on candies.  Look, how many red envelopes I've got in my hand!"







Harp turned to Lu "Yea! You think you got a lot?  No way! I have got way more than you!"

Harp protested and waved the red envelopes in her hand.
















Lu was shocked! To which he replied:

"Really? Really? Harp? You got way more red packets than me? Come on, what's your secret?"

Harp:

" I am not just cute, you know. I am smart too!"

Lu:" Come on, Harp, I will give you a million dollars.  Please tell me! Tell me. I want to know!"

Harp:" Nope, I am not telling ya. Lu. That's my family's ancient secret!"

And the very deep conversation about red pockets continued!



R.T.
Love all these kids in our family! They are so darn cute!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment