Monday 20 February 2017

Apple Cafe - A Hidden Gem in East York

840 Coxwell Ave, East York, Toronto
Very few places invoke such emotion from me as this building located on 840 Coxwell Ave, in my beloved city of Toronto.

This building used to house the former East York Board of Education between  the late 1980's to 1990's.

It was a building that marked the rise of my teaching career.




Many doctors offices are located in this building.

As I walked the halls, I still remember vividly the various important meetings with senior board officials and the vice principal interview I had in the boardroom on the second floor years ago. I was interviewed by a panel made up of four board members and three superintendents. It was a nerve wrecking experience. I thank God that it was a favourable outcome for me!




the building is ho,me to the South East Toronto Family Health Team


The former Board of Education office is long gone. In its place is the South East Toronto Family Health Team, doctors' offices, the Woodgreen Community Centre Adult Day Program and my favourite, the Apple Cafe.



The Apple Cafe - a hidden gem tucked across from the East York General






The little known cafe is a hidden gem tucked right across from the East General Hospital on Coxwell Ave, East York.













I  passed by this cafe  before but I did not have enough time to stop for a bite. This time the menu caught my eyes.

I always like to try different ethnic food.
I have not had Greek food for a little while.

The Spanakopita, Quiche, Chicken Caesars salad sounded appetizing.












The best portobello mushroom sandwich I have ever tasted!
I  went to the counter and saw  portobello mushroom sandwich on the menu. Everything smelt so good in this cafe so I decided to try a few items.

I really enjoyed the portobello  mushroom sandwich! It tasted so meaty with sliced plump tomatoes and cheese on toasted whole wheat bread.




Spanakopita.- a delicious Greek pastry pie filled with spinach, leeks and feta


Yummy and very healthy!
I love food that I could enjoy without feeling guilty.

Another food I tried was the Spanakopita.





Spanakopita is a Greek pastry like pie filled with spinach, leeks and feta cheese seasoned with various herbs, wrapped in filo pastry shell, topped with sesame seeds and baked to perfectly brown.  The pastry was flaky, crunchy and delicious!  A good size portion too.


Wow! I didn't realize that vegetarian sandwiches could taste this good.







the yummy ham and cheese Quiche was fresh out of the oven!

I was at the Apple Cafe around 10:30a.m. and  the aroma of the delicious food in the oven filled the place.

I waited for a few minutes and the Quiche were fresh out of the oven. The food smelt heavenly!




The salad bar offered a good variety of fresh vegetables and salads.



For $5.75, the Quiche was served with either a bowl of soup or a salad from the salad bar.




I chose a Kale salad and some potatoes from the salad bar.




Everything I tried was very good! The price was reasonable too. I love delicious restaurant dishes in home made style that are healthy, nutritious, tasty, but not too salty.

 I bought some more and took them home to share with my husband. He loved them all.






Apple Cafe - a great place to enjoy breakfast and lunch in East York





 I am glad that I have discovered the Apple Cafe,  a place where you can get yummy nutritious food at very reasonable prices.

A great alternative to fast food.




One can just sit, enjoy a coffee and watch the world go by at the Apple Cafe.




The Apple Cafe is also a sunny and inviting place where people can linger a bit and enjoy a cup of coffee with friends at any time.


R.T.
Apple Cafe
East York
Toronto















No comments:

Post a Comment