Wednesday 14 December 2016

Giving Back to Young People in My Community

It was quite a busy and eventful last few months. Much did take place but I was so busy studying that I dd not have time to write about these events. I am trying to catch up with my blog writing so that I would not forget them.

In October, I did a series of workshops in the Kitchener/ Waterloo area, trying to help young people and university students there in their job search and interview skills. The response was very good. In fact, After I did three workshops in the fall, some people are asking for me to return and do more.

M. shared her successful job searching experience with the young people in Waterloo




In one of the workshops, I invited an employer from the local community and a new graduate, who received a few job offers and chose one which she liked the best, to come and share her experience with the group.









In the third, also the last workshop, I incorporated a business culture element in the workshop helping participants to learn about some of the corporate practices and expectations of their employees.





More than forty people attended this workshop. It made me very happy when the participants told me that they learned and benefit from these workshops. 





It was a busy time for me in the autumn of 2016 when I had to juggle studying, teaching part time and doing community presentations. But I loved it!

I thank God for giving me opportunities working with the young people and sharing with other educators my experiences in education. There's nothing more fulfilling in my retirement life than giving back to society and to Canada, the country I love and call home for the past many decades!

R.T.
Kitchener/ Waterloo
Toronto area


No comments:

Post a Comment