Friday 5 December 2014

Coffee, Icecream and Bakery Cafes in Phnom Penh, Cambodia






While I was in Cambodia, I was hosted by a local church and ate my meals most of the time with my host.


However, there were times when we did go out and tasted some of the local dishes and tried some of the popular eatery.











Brown Cafe. - A great place for coffee and working on internet projects!
A little taste of home for me!

  A favourtie place of mine is the Brown Café , (a coffee place very similar to the Starbuck set up) where I could order my usual coffee or fancier hot drinks while escaping from the searing temperature, enjoying the air conditioning and checking my emails or using the free wi fi to do my work.










 Later on, I went with my friends again and tried something different,  my friend and I l enjoyed it for the second time. 


Surprisingly delicious Egg Benedict served at the cafe!
I tried some of the pastries such as egg tarts and cookies, not bad at all.









But what I really enjoyed was the breakfast served at this café. I had Mini Benedict - Toasted soft brioches, sauteed spinach, sliced Salmon, two poached eggs covered with Hollandaise sauce. Yumm--yummmy.



Looking out from Costa's while pecking on my computer




 I tried the different breakfast items on the menu.
They tasted great!













Another coffee place is called Costa –a  similar set up  serving  fancy coffees and pastries but a little pricier, therefore less crowded.

Excellent pastries served in a Phnom Penh bakery cafe







For someone like me, who is used to working and living in a cooler climate condition, it was a little taste of home for me sipping my coffee and pecking on my computer doing my writing – the most favourtie thing for me to do!






A local ice cream and soda shop



 Our Cambodian host took us to a local ice cream café where we were served delicious ice cream with local favours such as durian, mango, jack fruit and coconut. 








Phnom Penh served the most delicious and fresh coconut ice cream



The ice cream was served in a hollowed coconut bowl sitting on a pretty glass with wafer sticks. The durian and coconut ice cream was fresh  with much fragrant taste. The tastiest ice cream I had ever tasted!







A nice restaurant serving delicious local Khmer dishes





My last night in Phnom Penh, Principal Lawrence treated us to the Malis Restaurant, a classy Cambodian restaurant serving delicious local dishes. 
 ( No. 136, St. 41,  Norodom Boulvard, Phnom Penh. I am writing this down so that I will remember where to go when I revisit Phnom Penh next time. )






Delicious and fresh pastries could be found in Phnom Penh


Sitting in a beautiful setting, served  with delicious genuine local Khmer dishes and eaten among good friends with warm hospitality in a foreign country – what could be more enjoyable and fitting for a farewell dinner?










A tinge of sadness came over me towards the end of our dinner.  Cambodia can start growing on you having visited it for a couple of times.   I sincerely hope that I will be able to visit this country again, serving the people and working with the school staff with my loved ones by my side!

R.T.
Phnom Penh,
Last night in Cambodia

No comments:

Post a Comment