Saturday 23 February 2013

Getting my Writing done in My Crazy World

My younger son came home for this week. He wanted to get away from all the distractions in his own apartment in downtown Toronto so that he could have some peace and quiet for a little while. He was as good as his words, leaving his laptop behind and bringing himself only to our house.

Due to the cold weather and the long months we have to stay indoors, Canadians tend to furnish their homes with all sorts of toys and entertainment gadgets so that we could stay indoor comfortably and be entertained.
For those who can afford it,  we love to surround ourselves with 52 inch screen TV sets, video game machines, karaoke singing machines, exercising bikes, rowing machines ( though we rarely use them!) sauna, hot tubs ( though we may only use them a few times a year) etc. We have made our homes so comfortable and self sufficient that we just want to stay there, relax and enjoy ourselves.

I have the same relaxing attitude when I am home. I also find my own house too distracting as well. I can be puttering around all day in our home without getting anything accomplished. Turing on the T.V set, I would  be relaxing on the couch, sipping my tea and watching a bit of news, or I can cook up something over the stove in the kitchen, or I could re-arrange the cushions and furniture in the living room, watering the plants and deadheading them or trying on my clothes and tidying up the closets. There are so many things to keep me busy at home that I could hardly find time to write or do anything.

When I really want to write, post a blog or something, I find that I am much more efficient and productive if I work away from home. Finding a cafe close by, be it a Second Cup, Starbucks, Tim Hortons or McDonald's, I plunk my laptop down, purchase a coffee grande and start pecking on the keyboard. This is the only way I could get my writing done, away from my quiet comfortable house and seated in a restaurant or cafe with many people and activities around me!

Occasionally, I would like to get away from it all: obligations, commitments, daily chores and distractions.
Through my research, I found a couple of places.

1.  Queen of Apostle in Mississauga - www.qoa.ca, This renewal centre is about 40 minutes drive from Toronto. A calm and quiet place for people who wish to get away for a day or two to reflect and mediate in a natural beautiful setting.

2.   Marylake Monastery - 905-833-5368
 
At times when I need to get away without going too far, I will book myself and maybe my husband into this place to refocus my energy and reflect on the priorities in life.

R.T.
Toronto  

No comments:

Post a Comment