Saturday 9 February 2013

A New Canadian Citizen is Born!

Saif - Celebrating with Tim Horton's
Feb.4, 2013

"I am now a Canadian!" with two boxes of Tim Horton donuts in his hands, Saif said excitedly as he entered the company's lunch room this afternoon.

Saif, a young man in his twenty's, one of our colleagues at the company where I now work part time, was away this morning. I was wondering if he was sick or away on a business trip for the company.

He came bouncing in, full of energy, excitement and happiness. I have worked with Saif for the past couple of years and I haven't seen him this excited! He is also about to get married so this might explain why he was in such high spirit this afternoon.

Saif Showing off his Maple Leaf Pin
" I went to the Canadian Citizenship Ceremony this morning.  I got sworn in before a judge with many other new Canadians. My family was there to see me and they took pictures. The judge gave me my citizen certificate, shook my hands and congratulated me afterwards." Saif shared his joyful experience of becoming a Canadian as he showed off his brand new Canadian maple leaf pin to us.

It is exciting for new immigrants to take part in the Citizen Ceremony and become a Canadian. Being a citizen of Canada - is something we are very proud of. Canada, a country of freedom, opportunities and equality. With so many parts of the world in turmoil politically and economically, Canada is viewed as the heaven and refuge for many around the world. Yes, as Canadians,  we enjoy many benefits of what this great country has to offer, namely freedom, democracy, high standard of living and free universal health care. But Canadians also have our responsibilities to live up to - paying taxes, which, many are not happy about.

I am upset whenever I go shopping and hear some shoppers bargain with shopkeepers saying, " Give it to me cheaper, I don't want to pay any taxes." Recently, we had some annual maintenance work performed on our home heating system. Upon completing his work, this employee asked me to pay him cash so that I could save on paying taxes to the government. I recognized this employee because he was here doing the same service call and he asked me the same question last year. I was speechless !!! How could a proper Canadian company blatantly asked and encouraged its customers not to pay taxes!!!

I was visibly shocked by his questions and the intent to evade taxes which pay to support the many services and benefits Canadians enjoy. I took out my cheque book and told him that I would pay taxes because I support Canada and believe in our tax system. I was upset enough that I called this company and complained to the management about this. I have not heard back from the management yet. But I intend to follow up on this issue.

Being Canadians have many benefits and resposibilites. I enjoy this great country and I intend to honour my responsibilities!

R.T. Toronto

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete