Friday 9 November 2012

Teacher Training - Phnom Penh, Cambodia

This was my second day in Phnom Penh, Cambodia and we had a very productive day indeed!

People woke up bright and early in Cambodia, so did I this morning! I had a great night of sleep and I was awoken in bed by the gentle morning sun which came shortly after 5a.m. Already, I heard chanting coming from the building next to ours. "Wow, people are religious here," I thought to myself. I was barely up at such early hours yet those who were chanting clearly were awake before dawn.

Carol and I were able to get out of the house by 6:30am. What an achievement for me! I couldn't remember the last time I got up so early. Carol, my host in Cambodia, drove us to the riverside and joined many others already there. This was a busy place: people were playing badminton, basketball,  exercising on the machines provided free of charge at the water front park, walking their dogs, reading newspaper, chatting with their friends, riding their bikes or like us, just walking and enjoying the morning breezes before the late morning sun. Motor bikes were everywhere carrying passengers to and from their destinations.

We walked past many beautiful traditional buildings: the palace with the King's pictures hanging all over the place, a beautiful gold colour and elaborate decorated Buddhist temple, fancy Parian style hotels dotting along the water front, government buildings etc. Unfortunately, I did not bring my camera; will definitely get to it next time.

Some of the staff members at the school
It was easy walking for 45 minutes when we had so many things to look at. By the time we finished breakfast after the morning walk, it was 8:30am only!

Ice Breaker Activity
I had more than an hour to set up my ppt, and computer equipment before my first staff meeting at ten a.m.with the teachers at the school. I found that the staff were young, humble, and eager to learn with a positive attitude. That positive attitude would carry them far in life.

Cambodian Teachers Working Together in a Small Group



 I did an icebreaker activity with the staff giving them plenty of time to go around getting to know each other and building positive rapport with me. That worked well and got everyone in a receptive and relaxed mood. I demonstrated a few teaching techniques such as Brainstorming, Cooperative Learning and PLC strategies for the teachers and asked them to work in small groups and apply these techniques to their problem scenario.






They seemed to enjoy the activities and were immersed in their tasks. Teachers from each of the three groups took turn to present their solutions to the challenge questions posted to them.  I must say that I was impressed by the many creative solutions in their answers.

Public speaking in front of one's peers is never an easy task, even when I am doing workshops in Canada to Canadian teachers; many of whom are reluctant to speak.



The Cambodia teachers were eager to share their ideas

 But the Cambodian teachers rose to their challenge and at the end of today's meeting, they came up with a good action plan to address the challenges at their school. I encouraged them to continue refining their action plan over the weekend and we would reconvene next Monday and prepare to implement the plan!

A great productive day, better than I have anticipated! Praise God!







R.T. Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Nov. 9, 2012


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a fantastic time in a beautiful country. I wouldn't have expected to hear about things like free exercise machines on the water front! We don't have that in Canada and it's a great idea! Actually when I was downtown I walked by a free exercise area once. Anyway that was a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such creative idea to fit their expectation. I will pay attention to your each steps. Take care, Pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are travelling and bringing your wonderful energy to others and influencing their lives :)

    ReplyDelete