Friday 2 November 2012

Preparing for the mission trip to Cambodia

Since June, 2012, I have been meeting with a group of people who are committed to lending a hand to the people of Cambodia. I will be going as a member of a church short term mission team that goes to Cambodia on a regular basis to support their work there.

Our mission team has been meeting since the beginning of September for our training sessions before leaving for Cambodia in November. At each training session, Pastor Teresa leads us in planning the programs and activities; we also learn about the history, culture, hardship and the challenges faced by Cambodians in their country.

My proud little balloon doggies!

At each training meeting, a member of the mission team presents and  teach the rest of us something that we would be able to use during our visit there. These topics could be a short session on leading songs, learning to playing children's games and sports or a culture lesson about the people. One of the sessions was how to make cute little animals out of balloons.







I have always wanted to make balloon animals for a long time and this evening it gave me a great opportunity to learn and practise this fun skill.
Matthew came prepared with the long balloons and an air pump. He kept blowing up the balloons and the rest of us just followed |Rebecca's instructions in twisting and turning the long strips of balloons.
A balloon flower for my sweetheart?

Most of us were unsure what to do and did not like the slippery feeling and the funny sound of the balloons when we twisted and tried to bend the long strips into cute little dogs.  Our fear was that the balloons would burst and pop on us. The most satisfying of our balloon twisting that evening was learning the main trick of the trade and overcoming our fear of busted balloons. Important trick- The balloons would not burst as long as we leave a little tail at the very end where there was a space for air inside to escape.

Bingo! As soon as we learned the secret to balloon twisting, we were emboldened and kept shaping our balloon animals without fear nor reservation.  It was a lot of laughter and fun playing with balloons again with twelve other adults from our mission team. We were like children, just having fun. Great activity indeed!

I have been running different errands trying to get ready for my Cambodian trip. I cannot believe the amount of medication I am bringing with me. I went to the Travel Clinic for needles and medications; that alone cost almost $200.00. I went to dentist today to have my teeth checked out making sure I would not have any serious problems while I am overseas. Again, my dentist gave me a prescriptions of more antibiotics, oral rinse and other. Wow! I am now armed with more medicines than I have even seen or taken in my life. I hope I won't have to use them!

I will be leaving in a few days. Not sure what to expect but I depend on God who is mighty, powerful and gracious to keep me safe!

R.T. Oct., 2012
Short Term Mission Training Meeting, Toronto

No comments:

Post a Comment