Friday 29 June 2012

O little town of Charlottetown, great food & desserts!


Wherever I go, I love to try the local food and all the little places that may not be too well known for tourists but do offer great taste and reflect its people.

Yoko and I are not just meat and potato people; we are adventurous and are willing to sample anything that are edible which we don't have to kill ourselves. When we first set out to find places to eat, little did we know that Charlottetown has so much to offer when it comes to the variety of food from which we could choose to satisfy our hunger. Here are just a sample of what we tried and enjoyed:

At Victoria Row on Richmond and Queen St., we could choose mussels cooked in six different delicious sauces at half price, ( Monday to Sunday, between 2- 5p.m.) and served with fresh bread nicely arranged in a wired glass.

Some days, there might be a band or jazz music playing either inside the restaurant on the stage outside. The two times when we were there, the sound of jazz and great music accompanied us as we
savored the taste and freshness of PEI seafood.




Delicious mussels cooked in 6 different sauces at half price!




For desserts, we tasted the Dutch treats at Poffertjes,  located right across from the Confederation Centre for the Arts.

I did not expect to find such delicate European desserts on this island. But I did and watched how these tasty treats were prepared right in front of my eyes.

Poffertjes - Tasty, light and delicious little Dutch crepes
Lucy prepared the batter in her kitchen. When a customer placed an order, the batter was poured into a hot oiled iron pan with little wells from a

stainless steel container. A dozen of tiny Dutch crepes were cooked lovingly in front of us. When these little crepes were done in perfection, they were lightly dusted with powdered sugar just before they were served.

 As she prepared these tiny treats, Lucy, the owner, asked about our travels. She was always very friendly and  made you feel like you were a guest in her kitchen at her home.






I was hoping that I could feed myself with veggies and fruits during my three weeks in Charlottetown so that I could shed a few pounds here.

But I failed miserably as I walked by these wonderful eating places. I could hardly resist the aroma, the sight and taste of all the great food that are offered around me.

What the heck! I could always go on a diet back home.  Right now, I am simply enjoying what this island has to offer!

R.T., Charlottetown
A taste of Dutch at Poffertjes, Victoria Row

No comments:

Post a Comment