Saturday 30 June 2012

Good Eats in Charlottetown


The Water/ Prince Shop Restaurant
Great food, great company and great conversations while you are traveling; what more can a traveler ask for? I have been fortunate here in PEI as I have tasted some very delicious local food.

We enjoyed the lobster roll and fried clams at the Water and Prince Shop Restaurant at the corner of Water St. and Prince St. This is not a big restaurant and it only seats thirty people max. So you need to reserve to ensure eating for you. 


Deep Fried Clams


We did make reservation at the restaurant. Yoko and I had a look around the shops at the waterfront, took pictures of some great scenery and sat down for our lobster roll and clam dinner.


Tasty Lobster Roll
The lobster roll was delicious!  The meat was fresh and tasty.  Yuuummmmy!   We could taste the freshness of the Atlantic Ocean in our mouths. One of the best we ever tasted and it was served with a good serving of potato salad.







Seafood Udon noodles and salad


Besides tasting the traditional fresh seafood such as lobster rolls, fish and chips, mussels, shrimps, clams that this island has to offers, I also tasted some special food that I did not expect.


Japanese food - Mr. Sushi
 I was pleasantly surprised to find a half decent Japanese restaurant serving sushi at Mr. Sushi, downtown.
 I am not a friend of raw fish but did enjoy the hot Udon seafood noodles, salad, and vegetarian rolls. But if you are hungry, I do not recommend you to order the seafood noodles. Try something more substantial instead.

I went on a Tuesday evening, so it was nice and quiet while I was enjoying my meal.

Authentic northern Chinese dishes - Beijing Restaurant
Sometimes, you could have a great meal at a great price in a small restaurant.

This is exactly what Yoko and I have discovered at the Beijing Restaurant at University and Euson. It is  a tiny place tucked in between some houses with a small sign. We almost missed it had we not seen the Chinese characters on the window.

We stuffed ourselves with sweet and sour soup, Beijing spareribs, chile chicken and egg fried rice.
Yoko was happy because she missed eating rice a lot since she came here.


We could always count on the Farmers' Market for some delicious food every week. When my brother came to visit me last Saturday, I took him there to try the seafood chowder which I liked very much. But they served something else instead.

No problem, we tried the cabbage roll and peroges
instead and it was good homemade food, just as satisfying.


Home made Chocolate covered chips

Before I came to Charlottetown, I never heard of chocolate covered chips. Hey, there is always the first time! I tried my first chocolate covered chips at the Cow's and it was sinfully yummy good!

But what was a nice surprise was back at the hostel, Louise, ( from Maine, U.S) and Charlotte ( from B.C.)  made some homemade chocolate covered chips themselves and shared with everyone. It was just as good!

Crunchy & delicious Kale Chips by Louise and Charlotte!




Another new food that I never tried before was fresh Kale Chips made by Louise and Charlotte.


I have been trying to be a vegetarian. What a joke! After all these meaty dishes I have had in Charlottetown, I am ashamed and I don't know how to face my vegan son when I get back home
Louise & Charlotte with their the chocolate covered chips
 






I never knew how to cook and serve Kale until today.  The girls put the kale leaves on a baking sheet, drizzled some oil, salt, pepper and spices on them, baked at 400 degree for a couple minutes until the edges turned a little brown. Voila!

Crunchy, tasty and excellent wholesome Kale Chips were made and served in front of us. I learned to make something extremely easy and healthy to prepare today. My trip to the East Coast is worth it!

Thank you to Louise and Charlotte for the great ideas! 

R.T. Charlottetown
June 30, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment