Thursday 28 June 2012

Confederation Centre Public Library, Charlottetown - A Beehive of Activities

I have been staying in Charlottetown for my writing holiday since the second week of June and am enjoying my experience here. Last week I got an email with an important document attached via the email. I needed to print, sign, scan and send this document back as soon as I could. I was willing to pay for what I needed to get done and  was looking for a Staples Store but could not find one close to where I was staying. In our email exchanges, my son reminded me: ” Charlottetown is a modern city; they must have a place where they could help you to do this.”

Eureka!  The Public Library - I found all that technology and services I needed at the Confederation Centre Public Library and at no charge! ( Except for the 10 cent a page when I printed out my document.) That was where I went to access my document on the internet, print it, sign and scan it back via the email.  Problem solved!

For a small city, I am amazed at how big and well equipped the library is.  The public library is not a dingy little place, but a good size building located in the historic downtown district of Charlottetown. It is right next to the Confederation Centre of Arts building, located on the corner of  Richmond Street and Queen. It has two floors with various sections dedicated to different users.



Seats for the little ones during muppet shows


It is a place for everyone and for all age groups. For example on the main floor of the library, I found:

A  Children’s Section with a Muppet Theatre
     and seats for the young audiences.
·     




There are toys for the little ones and board games on the shelves for the older children.








Children's Section

 
    


       This part of the library is brightly and cheerfully decorated.

Chess table at the Children Section
All set up ready for a game of the mind.












Reading is not the only thing children can do in the library.

There are many other activities  for the kids to do/













A  new program called  Teen Summer Reading Club will run for six weeks this year.










A Section for Teens
       
       This space is inviting, decorated with modern, cool and comfy sectional sofas and chairs for teens who wish to relax, read quietly or do their work on their lab tops.








Free computer equipment and time for the pubic to use

·         Computer Stations – They are free for the general public to use.
 
      There are twelve computer stations set up for anybody who wishes to access the internet and to google / search for information. There is a printer and scanner set up and ready for use as well.






A Feature Film and Television Series    Section – It houses a fairly recent and good size collection of movies, TV shows on DVD’s and VHS tapes.  Anyone with a library card could borrow these shows and movies for free. You don’t really need to visit the video rental stores!  ( No wonder I did not see any Blockbusters or huge videos rental stores here.)
              Besides borrowing free movies and TV shows from the library, you can even download      e-books or audio books.   All for free!  How cool is that! 


Charlottetown Public Library - A great place to relax and read!

Scattered throughout the library, there are many comfortable over-sized chairs;  one can easily grab a book, curl up, read and lose the track of time.


The best part about it - it opens everyday of the week, even Sundays year round!!!






EAL Learning Section - Located on the 2 nd floor of the library
 On the second floor of the library, there are two sections:

1.  A Reference Section -  with shelves of reference books, and tables, chairs set up for  people like me who need a quiet place to research, read and write.

2  An EAL Section – for  EAL users - English as an Additional Language,  ( I learned a new term here.)  books, resource materials, English learning software such as Rosetta Stone, and computers are readily available here.



Toys and games for the kids

  In partnership with the Newcomers Association of Charlottetown, the Public Library offers free one on one English tutoring classes to its new residents.

 EAL learners wishing to access these free private English lessons can register with the Newcomers Association and they will match volunteer tutors with the newcomers. A great service indeed!







In addition to the different sections that the library has set up catering to its different users, it offers many different programs such as children`s reading programs, puppet plays, family story time, chess club, origami, teddy bear's picnic, book talks, special classes, literary and community events throughout the year.










It is a community place where a beehive of activities happen on a regular basis.

 The public library is well used. About 4000-5000 people make use of the library weekly.


 The Confederation Public Library, Charlottetown, has been my home for the past three weeks while I am spending my writing holiday here.

I am glad that I have a place where I could concentrate and do my research.  I have been here everyday writing and working on my project.  It is a relief that I don’t have to visit McDonald's or Starbucks to use their WiFi, ordering and taking in all that sugary liquids while I am writing.


The Public Library is a beautiful, modern and relaxing place that offers many great services to its residents.

It is centrally located, accessible and the staff is friendly and helpful. With their assistance, ( a big thank you  to Trina, Chief Librarian, and Sarah for their infinite patience! )  I learned how to blog, post and start my blogging project here.



The Public Library is a great place to be!  For everyone!

R.T. Charlottetown
June 28, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment