Wednesday 13 June 2012

Adventures in PEI and Beyond


View of Charlottetown from the air


Waterfront, Charlottetown, PEI


I had a really good sleep last night at the hostel from all the walking I did yesterday. I walked a couple of miles to University Ave and Euston Street to buy some grocery and distilled water.
The hostel I am staying for  the next little while is a really nice place: clean, with modern facility and country charm. I requested an all woman dorm room and I was the only person sleeping in room 2. Nice and quiet, not bad.

My goal here is to focus and write as much as I can. For the next three weeks, I will be working hard, everyday, except Sunday, so that by the time I get back to Toronto, my book will be finished. That would be awesome!!

It was almost noon by the time I got out of the door. Map in hand, I walked up to Richmond St. from where I was, did a little bit of window shopping along my way to the library. Lots of nice shops and restaurants. I would go easy on myself since this is the first morning after my arrival.

This time, my visit to PEI will be much more leisurely since I will have three weeks here. I can take the time to enjoy what the island has to offer. I don't have to rush to go somewhere else. Simple stay put and enjoy the slower pace of island life.





 I paid attention to the flyers at the community centre and the stores I visited. I found a church in the neighbourhood, and saw some advertisement for local concerts.








Lots of concerts and musical performances in Charlottetown



There seems to be a lot of concerts taking place; I took note of these events and plan to attend some of them.



The beautiful waterfront in Charlottetown


The loud energetic music blasting from a nearby building drew my attention and I went in to see what was happening. There were a lot of people exercising and it did not look too difficult. Ah, easy moving - my kind of class. Great! I got some information and found a place for my workout at the Murphy Community Centre. At $5.00 a session, pay as you go. Easy budgeting as well!


Unlike being in Toronto where I have so many obligations and things that I have to look after, here in Charlottetown, I could take time to smell the roses, and talk to friendly non-threatening strangers. That was exactly what I did.
Beautiful flowers in front of the library


On my way to the library, located on the corner of Queen and Richmond Street, I stopped and admired the beautiful gardens at the entrance.

There were a lot of bush like plants with abundant pink, purple, white flowers in bloom.  I talked to the lady who was busy weeding and asked her about these plants.

The library is located right in the downtown of Charlottetown




The pink flowering shrubs are called Cranes Bill, and the beautiful white flowers cascading along the path are called Snow in the Summer.

Pretty names, pretty plants! I will get a couple of these plants and bring them with me when I go back to Toronto.


I am so glad I came to Charlottetown to do my writing! A nice small town but with such good facilities, amenities and all the conveniences with reasonable prices. I am looking forward to a productive three weeks here along with some sightseeing ( if I work hard enough ) !

R.T. , Charlottetown
June 13, 2012



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like PEI is a very enjoyable town in which to spend summer days.

    How's the Street Party last night?

    Stan

    ReplyDelete