Saturday 25 June 2016

Aboriginal Month Display - Downtown Toronto - Always a Lot to See!

A building at Bloor and Yonge, Torornto




I love Toronto! We have been living in this city for almost forty years and we are never tired of it.

Because the housing prices in Toronto have skyrocketed for the past decade, many people have cashed in selling their Toronto homes and moving to the suburb for bigger houses at much cheaper prices.














Beautiful buildings abound in Toronto








We refuse to follow the trend because we love living in this beautiful city!

There are always so much to see and do right here!





A window display - an aquarium look alike with  a school of paper fish swimming around




 A few days ago, after finishing a meeting downtown, I was on my way to the subway station heading home.

I passed by some interesting displays around the Bay and Bloor area on the street.






A sports car was supported by 4 Wedgewood cups outsdie the Ashley store on Bloor and Bay street in Toronto








I came across an extraordinary display!  There was a dining room table set up beautifully with fine china - dinner plates, teacups, teapots and cups etc outside the Ashely Store on Bloor Street.



On top of this elegantly set table was a sports car supported by four Wedgewood bone china teacups!

Wow! Those were stong cups!

But for me, I just want my teacup to serve me tea or coffee. I really don't need my teacup to be able to hold a weight of a thousand pounds. But it was interesting to see.



Toronto Eaton Centre entrance, downtown Toronto


As I was walking by the Eaton Centre, I passed by some street musicians and some more displays.











Having just returned from a native reserve, I am more interested in native arts. I spotted some on the ground.











I stopped and looked at some of paintings and wood burning artwork displayed on the ground of the street.


The gentleman who did these art pieces was there. So we started chatting about his work and the subjects which he chose to draw and burn on wood pieces.

Aboriginal people usually live on reserves as our government gives them their treaty rights to have free housing on their own land. However, many do try to live in cities outside the reserves.

A double decker  tour bus at the Square
But it is not always easy to them to find work to support themselves as they do face systemic racism and discrimination in Canada. I admire those who do try and beat the odds.

We had a good chat and I bought a small painting from this native gentleman.





Heading toward the Dundas subway station, I came to the Dundas Square on Yonge and Dundas.







Display booths filled the Dundas Square





There are always something going on at the Dundas Square!








A crafts booth  provide free activities for children in the Square.



Every time I go downtown, I always go by there and see what's happening. 







June is National Aboriginal History Month in Canada





Today, there was a special celebration!






A musician performing on the Dundas Square stage




The National Aboriginal History Month.








Enjoying a performance by an aboriginal artist at the Dundas Square







This is the first year Canada has proclaimed and is celebrating the month long event! 







There were many booths displaying and selling native crafts and arts




It's great to see aboriginal people proudly displaying their arts, products, and goods outside their reserves and communities.






A proud positive message on a T shirt





 Our aboriginal people are starting to feel confident and proud of being themselves.  I saw that proclamation on a t- shirt there!



R.T.
Dundas Square
Toronto






No comments:

Post a Comment