Tuesday 25 November 2014

Where to Cash American Express Travellers Cheque in Phnom Penh & Angkor Wat, Siem Reap Cambodia?

Despite of being very careful getting ready for my departure for Cambodia and continuous to be vigilant after landed in Phnom Penh, I still got sick here. Fortunately, it was not too serious. feeling weak and a little feverish, I had to stay in bed and rest for the past two days.

My host from the local church looked after me really well! I am back on my feet and feel much better now! Praise God!

I went to numerous banks in Cambodia. None accepted Travelers Cheques
Today was the first time I felt well enough leaving the church house and trying to do some banking.

It was empowering to venture outside on my own for the first time since I landed in Cambodia.  Running low on cash, my task today was to cash my American Express Travellers cheques purchased in Canada so that I could have some money to spend on food and other necessities.

Little did I know how difficult it was to have my travellers cheques cashed.  I googled where to have my TC exchanged and found that a lot of the articles are quite old. Therefore, I need to take the plunge and just found out for myself.

 I walked for about three hours on Preah Silhanonuk, a major street in the business district of Phnom Penh, the capital city of Cambodia, going into every bank I walked past by but was met with the same fate.

Once inside the bank, I took a number, sat and waited for my number on the screen to appear. When it was my turn, I went up to the nicely dressed teller who apologetically gave me the same message:

" Sorry, our bank no longer accepts travellers cheques anymore. Please try another bank."

When asked which bank would handle TC, the teller proceeded to give me some directions to go to another bank which they thought would accept the travelers cheques.

 But none did!!!

I am down to a very small amount of cash and I need to have the TC cashed.
Where should I go? Which bank would take these unwanted American Express travelers cheques?  I would definitely broadcast the bank who accepts them and share the information to help fellow travellers who may be in the same boat as I am.



R.T.
Cambodia Asia Bank - The only bank I know of that accepts American Express Travelers Cheques in Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
November 20, 2014T

P.S.  A couple of days later, a Cambodian friend of mine drove me to CAB - Cambodia Asia Bank near the River side park.

From my experience for the past few days,  most Cambodian banks refuse to handle TC. The only one I know for sure will take them is the Cambodia Asia Bank where I finally was able to cash my American Express Travelers Checks.  Charged for a hefty 5% fees, I lost US$ 5.00 for every hundred dollar TC  cashed. 
 I remember when I was in Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, someone also told me about the CAB, but at the time we could not find this bank.
It would have been cheaper and much more convenient for me to simply use my bank or debit card in Cambodia! I have learned my lesson! I hope I have provided the most up to date info on exchanging TC to fellow travelers.





 

1 comment:

  1. Traveller's checks are an old technology! It's time to change with the times and find new ways of getting money abroad! Personally I just use my debit card as a lot of cards and machines are international. The service fees aren't that bad and they give great exchange rates! I also just use my visa.

    ReplyDelete