Saturday 27 October 2012

Remembering Mrs. Jung of Thunder Bay, Land of the Sleeping Giant



Thunder Bay, Ontario

The Sleeping Giant,  landmark of Thunder Bay
Good Bye,  Thunder Bay, my beloved city, the land of the Sleeping Giant. I was leaving but wouldn’t know when I ‘d be back again.  I cranked my neck as far as I could to see over the wings of the West Jet plane trying to take in the city view and the memories of the people I loved below as much as I could.

Hoito - Our favorite Finnish Pancake Restaurant
Thunder Bay,   a northern Ontario city about an hour and half plane ride from Toronto, with a little over one hundred thousand residents for the past four decades, has a very special place in my heart.

The images of laughter, friends, family, warm and welcoming neighbours, pictures of pig roast parties at my brother’s huge backyard, commencement ceremony, my youthful days, talks of plans for the future, and dreams of conquering  the world all floated in front of me and melted into one big happy scene  whenever I touched down on the soil of Thunder Bay - Ah, the city of my youth and dreams, where I spent the happiest part of my teenage years in the 70’s. 

 Finnish Book Store - where we visited weekly to send letters to friends overseas
I was grateful for the warm and wonderful citizens of the city where it received an immigrant family from overseas more than forty years ago. How could I ever forget in particular, our next door neighbour, the Jung’s family, for their exceedingly warm hospitality and kindness in making our transition to our new life in Canada so smoothly, and their three spunky kids, Parker, Dinah and Linda who were ever so energetic, lively and always smartly dressed ( by their mother?)

 Happy memories abound in these two houses between the Jung's & us



All these wonderful sweet thoughts and pictures of my girlish days flooded my mind this past  weekend. My family settled in Thunder Bay years ago, but gradually one by one, we moved down south over the years. Since 1971, this was the first time I came back to my beloved city without any family members residing here.

I always have delightful memories of the city of the Sleeping Giant. But sadly, my joyful recall of the past was overshadowed by the passing of one of the most wonderful people I had the privilege of knowing, Mrs. Jung, our neighbour during the early 70's.  I was in the city to attend her funeral  and to offer my support to her wonderful children, and her husband, Let Jung.
I went to the visitation on Thursday evening and the Friday funeral service at the Sargent and Son Funeral Chapel, on Court Street, to convey my condolences on behalf of my family. The pain of losing Mrs. Jung was evident and written on the faces of her surviving family members. I could feel the sadness and agony of their loss. Nothing could ever ease the pain of a loved one taken from us so suddenly. The only thing we could do is to let the family know that we share their pain and be there for them. This was what compelled me to come from Toronto for the funeral service.

The Jung's and their friend

Attending Mrs. Jung’s funeral allowed me the opportunity to pay my last respect to her. It also helped me to get reconnected with my old friends from my teenage years and the chance to revisit some of my happiest days, as well as affording me the time to reflect and re evaluate the priorities in my life. Nothing could be more important than spending time with family, and the people I love.

The  funeral service was a touching one from start to finish. With Chinese violin music softly playing in the background, Mrs. Jung’s casket was open, and she looked serene as if she were just sleeping. 

 Mrs. Jung - A Beautiful Lady Inside and Out

I remembered her kind, porcelain complexion very well. Her hearty laughter, her twinkling eyes, and the high pitch singing voice when she got excited singing with my parents in our living room, scenes of happy neighbourly get together all came back to me.

 How could I every forget the giggles and great laugh we had at her kitchen table after she gave me a pretty graphic explanation about the birds and the bees ( Refused to discuss with my parents on this sensitive topic, I pestered and begged Mrs. Jung for days about this mystery of life and she eventually relented) ; our chitchats in her vegetable garden, the B-B-Q in our backyards, the traditions she shared with us about Christmas gift exchange in Canada,  our first Christmas pictures taken in the Jung's living room, our driving excursions to Chippawa Park, the falls, and other places...etc.
She brought us so much joy and laughter. What a beautiful person inside and out! I was taken away and lost in my happy memory of the past.

The service started after the family was given a private moment while the casket was being closed. Then the Reverend led the immediate family members each to light a candle placed at the front, followed by scripture readings of comforting passages of Jesus from the bible as well as from Psalm 23. There were three musical selections by the family and each piece of music was played after a scripture reading. All three musical selections were beautiful.  The one that touched me the most and perhaps many others was Dust in the Wind. Listening to that song brought me to the realization that Mrs. Jung was really gone and we were all but just dust on this earth eventually. I was all choked up and I didn’t think there were too many dry eyes in the house either.
Alana, Mrs. Jung's granddaughter who was the apple of her eye, and her three children, Parker, Linda and Dinah took turn to remember and pay tribute to their dear mother. They all shared with us her love and dedication to the family. There were some light hearted moments and fond memories of her recalled by them.

I was glad that I made the trip to Thunder Bay and shared with the family this important moment of their lives. I stayed with the family as much as I could this past weekend because it might be a little while before I could see them again. It is unfortunate that we only see the people we love in unpleasant circumstances such as this. I must change that and try my best to make time for my family, friends and those I love.

Sleeping Giant, Thunder Bay - seen from the top of the hill at Hillcrest Park
Four wonderful decades flew by before we even realized it. From a young girl who landed in Thunder Bay years ago to a retired person today, I will always remember the people I met and great friends I made in this northern city. Mrs. Jung and her family occupy a very special place in my heart and will always be a part of me. I will treasure our special bonds, mutual affection for each other, and cherish those fond memories of our good time together.

Good Bye, Mrs. Jung, thank you for all you had done for our family. You are gone, but not forgotten. We love you and will always remember you!

R.T.  Thunder Bay, Ontario
October 27, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment