Tuesday 3 July 2012

Affordable Entertainment and Beautiful Sounds of PEI Music


This Summer's Musicals at the Confederation Centre of the Arts

During my three week stay in Charlottetown, I  attended five musical performances which included a gospel rock concert at the Trinity United Church, and a country music one by Jolee at the Guild Centre downtown. These two were fundraising concerts with the performers donating all their proceeds to their designated charities.






I also attended two performances at the Canadian Legions and the musical Ring of Fire at the Confederation Centre of the Arts.
  Musicians performing to promote a charity concert 

Fundraising  and benefit concerts abound in this east coast city for various causes: for a family who lost a husband, a friend with terminal illness, the Heart and Stroke Foundation, a special church project , anti violence, diabetes society and many other worthy compassionate causes.  There are abundant opportunities to listen to good music, donate to a good cause and lend a hand to a fellow islander in PEI.

Free musical performances on Richmond St.
Obviously, the people of PEI love their music and are generous in sharing their passion with others. Everywhere I turned, there were musical performances. For instance,  when I walked back to my hostel on a number of evenings, there was free musical performances on Richmond St., and I often found musicians serenading, and entertaining folks in community events. I could have gone to a different concert every week.

Royal Canadian Legion
I am not a huge country music fan, but I do love the sounds of island music.  PEI music is a little different from country music as it has the Celtic influence and its lyrics speak to your heart. One of the good places to go for island music if you are watching your budget is at the Royal  Canadian Legion Hall on Pownal Street.  Concerts are held there every week.

Weekly musical performance at The Clover Club - Legion Hall 
The ones I went to were on Thursday evenings with performances by some outstanding  PEI musicians. Concerts in Charlottetown are very affordable; it is usually around $20.00 or by free will donations. The most expensive ones are probably at the Confederation Centre, between $ 30 -$ 80.00, but they do have about 36 -39 tickets available at every show at $ 20.00 each if you are not fussy about where you sit.

The admission at the Clover Club, Royal Canadian Legion Hall, is a steal at
 $ 10.00 per person and they also serve delicious home made pies during the intermission at $2.00 each. I tasted the yummy strawberry pie and cheese cake and someone even told me some people went just because of these fabulous treats!
( Darn it! I had just got invited to the Strawberry Social, but would not be able to make it as I would be leaving soon, too bad!)

The Fiddlers' Sons performing at the Legion Hall
If you feel like participating and want to take part in singing, step down to the basement of the Legion Hall. Anyone from the audience with an inkling to sing  can take over the microphone,  take part in the karaoke and sing your heart out.  Everyone has a fun time there! 

I love being on vacation and staying only at one location. I have been fortunate to have both the time and opportunities to watch some great musical performances in Charlottetown, PEI. There was one that really stood out for me. It was performed at the Legion Hall: The Fiddlers’ Sons and their song called That’s My Mom written by Andy Quinn for his mom.  This song touched my soul and many others. I will be looking for it when it will be released in a few months’ time.

R.T.
June 3, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment