Sunday 12 August 2012

Meeting My Best friend in Novi Sad, Serbia!

I am finally going to meet my best friend, Lillian and her family in her home town of Novi Sad, Serbia!

Our train ride from Budapest to Novi Sad took about 6 hours.
Stan and I were really excited and the train seemed to have gone slower and slower after we entered Serbia. We were surprised to see the huge farmland laying before our eyes.

The train ride from Budapest took about 6 hours. We left Budapest at 1 pm in the afternoon and did not arrive to Novi Sad, Serbia until well past 7:30pm.

As the train slowly arriving the Novi Sad station, I could see Zoran and Lilian waiting anxiously looking for us. I waved at them frantically trying to get their attention from the train, but they just did not see us.

We got down to the platform and received a bear hug from them. Lillian was so excited that she could not stop telling us that they were worried that we might have gone on the wrong train.

We met my best friend's family and their daughter in Novi Sad
I have known Lillian for a long time ever since she immigrated to Canada in the 1990's and started teaching at my school. We hit it off and we have become good friends since. We have always talked about visiting each other's home country and she has been eager to share with me with life was like for her in Serbia.

We both could not believe that we are finally here from the other side of the globe and she could hardly wait to show us her childhood places.


We look forward to the next few days with childlike eagerness and a great sense of adventure because my husband and I are going to learn a lot about Serbian culture and life!!

R.T., Nova Sad, Serbia
Aug.9, 2012

P.S. I was grateful for the opportunity to have met Lillian and Zoran's family in Serbia.
They were very kind to us and I treasured every moment we were together getting to know them.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment