Thursday 2 August 2012

Helping Schools in Cambodia - Donations from the Parenting Centre

Helping Schools in Cambodia - Donations from the Parenting Centre

I just came back from my two weeks of VBS in Waterloo and  it was a successful event!

Without advertising outside of the church we had twenty two children aged 5 - 12 registgered for the two week full day camp. What made the camp really exciting was the energy and the creativity of the nine highschool volunteers we recruited to help us run the camp. I must ackowledge their invaluable contributions; without these volunteers, I would never have been able to come up and implement all the fun activites for the children.

I am immensely grateful for their two week participation and we look forward to next year's camp!

I drove to meet with Maria and Eliza at the west end Board Office. The weather has been dry and unseasoanbly hot this summer hovering at around 30 degree almost everyday. The sky started to get cloudy when I left my house, then dark clouds gathered and covered the entire sky and they got thicker and wider while I drove. I lstarted driving almost an hour and half before the meeting time. I kept praying that I would be able to get to the destination wihtout being caught in the rain storm.  I was not and got to the office in the nick of time just before it began to rain cats and dogs!

 I was welcome by one of the staff members warmly and was served some hot beverage. With a warm cup of tea in my hand, I sat down to wait for Maria and Eliza. I picked up a research paper written by the TDSB Research Dept on the Pareting Centre and how young children benefitted from these early learning experiencea. The research study reported that this preschool programs had a positive impact on children who attended and they  performed better than their counterparts socially after they started school. It was interesting reading indeed.



 Donations from Parenting Centre Staff for the Cambodian Project
  After Maria and Eliza arrived, we were presented with  a good quantity of gently used materials from the Paretning Centre staff for the school project in Camboida. The Cambodian school project has been in the planning stage for about a year or so and I have been invited to join their team. The more I talked to Maria and Eliza, the more excited I got about this project. I have been looking for opportunites to lend my expertise in schools overseas and be involved in some charity project to help kids. This is an excellent opportunity!  Hopefully, I will be able to contribute in some way to the development of the education system in this war ravaged country. I look forward to my first visit to the schools there within the next few months!

R.T. Toronto
July 2, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment