Desiring to visit the sites of Saint Paul's second missionary journey, we took the bus from Thessaloniki to Kavala. From Kavala, we took a taxi to our hotel located in the area of the archaeological site of Philippi. We arrived in the evening; with not much to do in the area, we went to bed early and had a good night rest.
The next morning, I pushed the balcony door open from our bedroom, stepped outside and saw a good size church not too far from our hotel. The air was fresh; the birds were chirping. It was a tranquil setting with spring foliage, wild grass and trees budding with green leaves. There was a small table with a couple of patio chairs inviting us to sit and enjoy this quiet and relaxing scenery.
I lingered on the balcony for a while taking in the relaxed and slow pace of a Greek rural village. This was why we were here! Quiet and unhurried living!
We headed down for breakfast which was served in the hotel’s dining room.
This village hotel looked rustic. It was early spring, not the busy tourist season yet. There was no big crowds, no bus loads of curious tourists. It was quiet with us being the only guests in the dining room. We enjoyed a simple breakfast prepared and served by an elderly lady, a member of the small business family.
After breakfast, I opened the bible to the book of Philippians, my husband and I took turn reading the scriptures together trying to understand what messages Paul was conveying to the congregation in Philippi.
Again, as last time when we read the book of Thessalonian in Thessaloniki and we gained a better and deeper insight into Paul’s messages, the same amazing experience happened to me again this time!
As my husband was reading the text, we had a good discussion about what we had read delving into the real meaning of the bible texts. I had a good time and enjoyed studying and sharing the bible words with my hubby.
This was one of the most memorable moments of our trip in Greece!
One of St. Paul’s messages to the church of Philippi was be joyful in all circumstances even though he was writing this letter in a prison cell. I was deeply touched and moved by his words and had an excellent sharing with S.
As a Christian couple, this is something I have always wanted in our married life - studying and sharing God's words regularly and making it a part of life. Life has its many challenges, but with God's word and His presence in our life, we will be able to cope with and rise above the challenges and become victorious in the end!
I will strive to make this bible reading and sharing happening more often in our everyday life!
RT, Near the Archaeological site of Philippi, Greece
042026
No comments:
Post a Comment