Thursday 13 June 2024

Returning to Cambodia Again to Support Young Teachers and Youth Workers

During the first week we were in Cambodia, we met with H, the principal of the school. She introduced us to the staff and arranged us to visit some schools and charitable organizations helping girls and women to learn more about their work and their clients' needs.
During our stay in Cambodia, we visited two schools, a community centre, a girls and women shelter run by some Christian charitable organizations providing them with educational and skill training programs.
We also met with the heads of these organizations and made some great connections with the admin and staff. I discussed at length with H. the principal of the school, together with the social worker and other committed volunteers, who all gave me a lot of information about the students, staff, the community and the past and future planned goals and projects of the schools.
The meetings were productive as we gained a lot of insight and made a few connections with the community. With this useful information at hand, we would be able to come up with a long term plan to support the professional development of the school and staff.
The best part of our Cambodian trip this time was meeting and getting to know both the admin and teaching staff.
I did some presentations for the teachers and they liked what they were presented. I also enjoyed the part when I did a demonstartion lesson with the students and got to work with them.
The teacher in me could not be happier - being back in the classroom!
The city of Phnom Penh has changed somewhat. We noticed there were a lot more nice shops around.
We were delighted to find a few nice coffee shops around the neighbourhood. The weather was hot, hovering around 30 to 35 degree F. everyday.
In order to have some relief from the scorching sun and hot temperatures, we often seeked refuge in these nice coffee shops. We also noticed there were quite a few young professional men working on their computers in these coffee places.
They looked like they were employees working remotely from home. The only downside of our stay in Cambodia was the night when both my husband and I were sick after eating a very small amount of raw cabbage salad. I threw up so badly and violently that I thought I might die in Cambodia. I prayed all night and cried out to God to heal me and stop my violent vomiting. I kept praying and God listened to my prayers as I got better and was able to sleep. Praise the Lord! We thank God for this opportunity to once again experience His love, grace and mercy in Cambodia. RT, Phnom Penh, Cambodia 022024

No comments:

Post a Comment