Friday 3 May 2024

I Lost My Computer in China, but It Was Found Untouched

Having spent a week in Guangzhou, its was time to move on to other cities. Our next destination was Gulanyu in Xiamen. I was hugely disappointed as J. told us that he would not be with us during this leg of the journey. He needed sometime off and that he would meet up with us later. He purchased the train tickets for us and booked us the hotel and so on. But I was disappointed. He saw us off at the Guangzhou train station . As we were going though the security check with our language, tears started to roll down my cheek as I thought of E. when he was very young and going to Thunder Bay the first time all by himself. We were thinking he would miss us so much that he would have a hard time separating from us. Without any hesitation or even a slight turn of his head to wave good bye to us, he was happily holding the stewardess’s hand and off he went to the plane. This time, it was our son letting go of us and we were the one leaving. How history repeats itself.
Being upset, we didn’t pay attention to retrieving all our luggage after the security check. We only discovered that we were missing our computer bag after we were seated in the highspeed train leaving the city. We called J. right away and asked him to go back to the train station and tried to see if we left it there. Meanwhile, we saw a phone number flashing on the screen on the overhead screen of the train informing passengers that if they needed any assistance or had any emergency, they could call for help. I did immediately and our phone was answered right away. I was pleasantly surprised as there was not any wait for a long time before any real live personnel answering my call. I informed the personnel on the phone as well as the train officer what happened. We could see that they sprang into action , making calls to various departments trying to help us to find our lost bag. So glad we were getting help right away. About 30 minutes later, J. called and informed us that he found our bag sitting exactly where we left it at the security check area. No one took our computer bag with our content in it. Thank God! We were very impressed with thousands of people passing through the Guangzhou train station, our valuable, though lost, was not taken by anyone. I left my computer bag on the Toronto subway a few years ago. I reported it. No action was taken and my bag was never found. What a contrast! After we learned that our computer bag was found, we settled comfortably into our seat of the fast train which took us to our next destination to China! RT, Xiamen, China

No comments:

Post a Comment