Tuesday 15 October 2019

Asking God for Directions and a Sign for My VBS Work in Waterloo, Ontario


We have been running VBS for the past decade
With lots of help from the local churches and volunteer youth leaders, I have been able to run an annual full day week long VBS for the children in the Waterloo region for the past decade.


Youth Leaders' participation is invaluable to VBS 











However, I was not sure how this year's summer camp would work out as we seemed to have more leaders than children registering for the church camp.






Number of Youth Volunteers broke our record this year!






Without much advertising but depending mostly on word of mouth, the VBS  usually has a decent turn out every summer. This year was different; it was the slowest in terms of registration. With less than two weeks prior to the camp opening,  only eleven children had registered.

Children's registration for VBS was slow at the beginning






'' Is God telling me to finish my work here?  Is it time for me to move on to do something else?" I wondered when the church elder told me about the registration number.   I prayed to God for His guidance. I prayed to Him to give me a sign if this would be the last year we should be offering this program here.







A painting activity idea by one of our youth leaders



I asked for a sign - if the VBS had less than 20 children, then it was a clear sign that God wanted me to stop and move on to something else.











The children and teens both enjoyed the many activities at our VBS


Three days before VBS, the registration number jumped up to 19 children! I said to God, but I asked for 20 children as a clear sign. The day before VBS, a parent called and asked me if there was still space for his daughter





We had to move the children on the 3rd day of VBS.









We hit 20 when the camp opened, the exact number I asked for!






We had to modify programs and activities.
We encountered a number of challenges in this year's VBS:

1.  The pastor of the church that lent the most support to VBS had to go overseas for a family emergency.
Our youth leaders were flexible in their programs and instructional methods.











2. One of my 4 main leaders had to drop out at the last minute, also due to family illness









We moved our Fair Fair to indoor this year.




3.  The original site where we were supposed to hold the camp could only accommodate us for 2 days out of the 5 due to fire inspection procedures







Grateful for our youth leaders' assistance and contributions!



4.  We had to move the camp after 2 days to a new site which was not ideal for the operation of the camp










We added a Kids' Cooking Class for 2019 VBS





5. I didn't have a car as I left the car in Toronto for my husband and J.

Despite of all these challenges, God looked after us well during the camp. He sent a team of volunteers to help me shop, cook and look after the volunteers' lunches and the children's needs.

Grateful for the parents and local church's support


Because I didn't have a vehicle, I| could not do any shopping at night therefore I could rest. Cindy, one of the leaders' mother did an excellent job organizing everything!

The children were well behaved!
The children were well behaved. The youth leaders, though young and inexperienced, were cooperative and teachable. They were cooperative and pleasant to work with.





The team of volunteer mothers learned that I left J. at home for a week and he was leaving on Friday evening, they urged me to leave on  Friday afternoon to see him off.

I felt confident enough to do just that. Chuck arranged a ride for me to Toronto so that I had door to door service to our house.

2019 VBS went well despite of many challenges!




I was able to spend some time with J. before he departed Canada.

VBS went well as well as the presentation on VBS Sunday.







2019 VBS Waterloo, Ontario




God is great! Everything worked out at the end. He gave me a clear sign - keep going and serving the children in the Waterloo community! 

R.T.
Week of VBS, 2019
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada
19082019

No comments:

Post a Comment