Tuesday 5 March 2019

A Letter From A Beginner ( Happy) Sunday School Teacher

I have kept in contact with a number of my recently retired professional friends who are high achievers and have worked hard for the last thirty plus years in their hectic jobs. Newly retired, with much free time on their hands for the first time in their lives, some retirees are not sure what they should do with their  time.

For some of my dedicated and devout Christian friends, I encourage them to be involved in church, particularly, as a Sunday School teacher sharing their love of God and the bible knowledge with the children.

To support this group of newly minted, inexperienced but enthusiastic Sunday School teachers, I have provided them with some basic training, follow up and ongoing encouragement. I recently received a heart warming email from a retiree who started teaching children at her church three weeks ago.  I enjoyed reading every line of her email:


Hi,  R.T.

Sunday School went well today!  I have been teaching for 3 weeks now. We've learnt about Judges - stories about Gideon and Samson.  This week we learnt a story from 1 Samuel - the story about the Ark of Covenant - why do we need to fear God, the difference between being afraid and fearful.

Anna and Davin are good at reading especially the names of people and places in the bible. Steve and I are not good at that but Steve is good at understanding the bible passages and I'm good at asking them questions. Those questions help the students to fully understand what the Bible verses want to teach us. We are learning from each other.

If you have more games please bring them to us when you come to our church next time. I have found that games and treats are a relaxing happy start to Sunday School for kids. Also, I have found out that when the children like you,  they will listen to you.

Today I taught the kids, especially Davin (a little rascal ☺) about manner and respect for others.
They listened. Echoed to today's lesson on 'Respect to God'!

Thanks for your help. God Bless!

Rose
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am so proud of how well Rose is doing and the skills she is developing in teaching children about the bible stories. Nothing is more satisfying to a teacher than seeing that your students are learning and improving!

R.T.
Toronto
P.s. names have been changed to protect the privacy of students



No comments:

Post a Comment