Friday 4 November 2016

A Retreat Experience on Silence and Solitude


Queen of Apostles Renewal Centre, Mississauga, Ontario


Today was the second day of our retreat. I didn’t have a good sleep at all last night. So I got up shortly after 6 am and started doing my devotion.

 It was a nice and quiet time. I do hope that this is God’s way of helping me to get up early each morning to meet with him.
Dining Hall at the Renewal Centre 








Breakfast was at 8 am in the dining hall. it was a nice buffet style with sausages and eggs as well as fruits and hot cereal.








We had our worship in the chapel


After breakfast, there was a short worship service in the main chapel.













We had a lecture on Listening to God after the morning worship. The most interesting exercise I had ever been asked to do was the afternoon exercise on silence and solitude.







Beautiful ground at the centre






For almost five hours, from 1:00 pm to 5:30 pm, we were supposed to be completely silent.

We could do whatever we feel like such as reading, taking a walk, drawing, praying or mediating on the ground of the Renewal Centre or around the area.

But we would have to do that chosen activity without speaking a word with one another. The idea was to be silent, spending time alone with God, resting in Him and trying to hear His voice.

We walked down  the wooden staircase with 125 steps leading to the edge of  Credit River.


I have been looking forward to this period of silence and solitude for a long time.

I have no problem finding things to do in silence at all.  Since the retreat centre was such a beautiful place, I decided to explore its surrounding area.

I walked down the wooden staircase with 125 plus stairs leading to the river edge with another classmate.


Credit River, Mississauga, Ontario



Enchanted by the beauty of the forest by the river side, I stayed a little longer looking at the changing color of the leaves.

I found a perfect maple leaf with round dew droplets on it lying on the forest ground! Alone by myself, I reflected on God's love and grace in my life. I kept praising God and trying to hear His voice.

After a little while,  I went back to the centre and napped for about forty five minutes. Then I went outside and explored the neighbourhood and took pictures of the grand mansions. I came across a few people from my course. We just nodded without talking

I went for a walk in the neighborhood of the Renewal Centre.





.It was a beautiful warm autumn afternoon, perfect time to be outside.

Coffee/ tea/ cookies for the retreat participants





I came back to the centre. Having poured myself a cup of tea, got a cookie and a book, I seated myself comfortably in the lobby and enjoyed some good reading. 

I enjoyed my silence and reading time in the lobby of the Renewal Centre









In no time at all, it was 5:30pm when the silence and solitude exercise was over! 



For me, I totally enjoyed my few hours of silence and solitude at the Renewal Centre!

It gave me time to be alone and enjoy nature and its beauty on a great autumn afternoon!

R.T.
Queen of Apostles Renewal Centre
Mississauga, Ontario









No comments:

Post a Comment