Thursday 5 December 2013

Feeling Bad for Rob Ford, Our Toronto Mayor

I am afraid of turning on the radio or television set these days. I really do not want to hear or learn more about what Rob Ford, our Toronto Mayor, has been accused of in the latest round of reporting by the Toronto Star or other media.

At the beginning, I was amused that big shot entertainers such as the host of the daily show, Jon Stewart, poking fun at our little mayor south of the border.  Being Canadians are not easy, we are always living in the shadow of a big powerful brother. In our travels overseas, I have learned that everyone knows about the movement and news of the U.S. The whole world knows about Obama, but very little is known about Stephen Harper, our Prime Minister for Canada for more than eight years.  So when our Toroto Mayor made it to the U.S. network news, we kind of felt - Wow!!!, they do notice us! How flattering!

But enough is enough! I feel really bad for Rob Ford.  I worked as a Toronto school administrator for a number of years. I know how it felt when everyone of my actions and decisions was scrutinized and questioned by my school community. I also know how it felt that no matter what I did, with the best intentions and the best interests of my students at heart, I was challenged and questioned. I know exactly how Ford is feeling - the feeling of being watched constantly, challenged and questioned of his actions.

However, I do admire Ford's tenacity and his toughness in the midst of  the daily overwhelmingly negative reporting. Many people, I, for one would have broken down or fallen ill due to the constant stress, pressure and anxiety caused by the unrelenting media reports.

Rob, I wish you all the best! I like you as a Mayor because you did do what you have promised you would do for the people of Toronto. However, we are human and human do make mistakes.When we have made mistakes, it is better to be man enough to admit them, face the consequences rather than prolonging the lies and deceit.

There is a lesson that can be learned from Letterman, the U.S. late night show host. He was very smart and made a fast and intelligent decision when faced with a possible scandal and blackmail situation a few years ago.  He himself took the step and  announced to the world of his affair with one of his staff members rather than facing  a life of blackmail trying to cover it up for the rest of his life. That news broke and was in the headlines for a little while and the entire episode was forgotten. The  American people forgave him and he is still one of the most popular show hosts in the States.

I truly believe that the people of Toronto are equally forgiving when given the opportunity.

I really hope that Rob Ford will take a break, a personal leave from all of this. There is nothing wrong in taking a leave of absence from work when the going is too tough. It doesn't make you less of a man.  I do hope that Ford will take care of his health, retrieve to a quieter place to reflect on all that has happened and to regain his strength.

Sometimes, we need to take a step back, before we can move forward in life.

R.T.
Toronto
P.S. feeling really bad for Rob Ford!


No comments:

Post a Comment