Friday 4 October 2013

Squirrels Change their coat to get ready for winter!





One of the enjoyment of living in a house with many trees is the opportunity  provided to observe some of the wildlife in its habitat. Every morning, I wake up, coffee or tea in my hand, have my breakfast and watch the little animals scurrying around in the backyard.


Since we are very close to a ravine, we are frequented by many visitors to our backyard. One of our little visitors are the squirrels.

Normally these little fellows are agile, fast runner with dark brown fur. They can climb up and down trees with lightning speed and it is not easy to get a clear good shots of them.They are also very sensitive and cautious to their environment.








I was observing them from my kitchen window for a long time and I wanted to get a closer look at these cute little animals.

 As soon as I opened the patio door leading to the backyard ( despite my cautious efforts in trying to be extremely quiet), these little guys ran away swiftly.





I noticed that some of the dark furry squirrels have started to change their colour to adapt to the coming winter season. Their colour has changed to a grayish white especially at the tails

Coffee mug in hand, I was enjoying my squirrel watching activity and taking pictures from my kitchen. This little guy's sat on the fence for a little while and something seemed to have caught its attention.



All of a sudden, it started wagging its tail very fast!




It continued to wag its tail like crazy for a little while and appeared very excited and seemed to have discovered something!

Finally, the excited squirrel jumped off the fence disappeared into the leave pile on the ground.







The same squirrel reappeared in a few seconds and jumped back onto the fence with something in his hands.

The reason for his excitement - he found himself a delicious treat!



R.T.
Toronto

No comments:

Post a Comment