Saturday 3 August 2013

Visiting New York City with My Sis!

I love my sister, Rosie!
I have been blessed with brothers and sisters. Rosie is one of  my sisters. When we were growing up, I did not like Rosie who constantly wanted to do the things I did and followed my friends and me around.  I thought she was bothering me and prevented me from having a good time with my friends.

But as we grew older, our fondness for each other grew as well. This is not surprising considering the fact that we have many things in common:  very pretty ( in our younger days, haha,,) generous, ambitious, hardworking, outgoing and friendly people.

We both are accomplished professional in our own field and  are dedicated spouses and parents to our other half and children.

We lined up for free tickets to the concert at Lincoln Centre








Though we have been living in the Toronto area for more than three decades, we have never gone on a holiday together for the past thirty years due to our busy schedules and family obligations.













Therefore, I was ecstatic when my sister said she would go with me to New York for a few days last week.









Visiting the Rockefeller Square




After her work last Wednesday, we hopped on the  8:30p.m. Greyhound bus at the Bay Street Terminal in downtown Toronto and took the twelve hours bus ride to New York City.



My sis enjoying  a Lobster sandwich at the Rock Centre Cafe 







Since I have been to NY City numerous time, I was able to navigate our way around on the subway and took my sister to visit a number of tourist must see places.















We had a lot of fun together! This was the first time we traveled together without our spouses or children.

 We were free like birds, going to wherever the wind happened to take us.





We did many tourist things in the Big Apple: going to Broadway,  tasting many different foods, bike riding in Central Park, visiting museums, helping my sis trying on and shopping for her  mother -in-law dress for her son's wedding.





 I would always remember that I celebrated my birthday with my sister at the Porter House Restaurant, a classy place located in the Time Warner Building at the Columbus Circle on 66th Street, Manhattan, New York!
Columbus Circle Square at night






Rosie wanted to try the famous New York steak and my son recommended us visiting the restaurant on the 4th floor at Columbus Circle.

My sister ordered the strip-lion steak and I ordered a Rigatoni pasta dish. We tasted the best  steak ever!


 Normally,   I am not a big meat eater and often try to avoid ordering any red meat dishes. But this time,  I was impressed by how tasty the steak was. My pasta dish tasted just as good as the ones we had in Rome! We were told that the chef who cooked the pasta dish at this restaurant came from Rome. No wonder!

Enjoying a famous N.Y steak dinner at the Porter House Rest. 
With a beautiful surrounding, excellent service and delicious food, we had a fabulous dinner at the restaurant. ( However,  this  was not a place for someone watching his/ her budget.  Rosie was generous to treat me to a splendid birthday dinner.)
The L. girls dining at Columbus Square

She even surprised me with a scrumptious  piece of New York cheese cake with a birthday candle after our dinner!

I would never forget the past few days when I could spent some time with my sister.  We had time to talk about everything: our families, our kids, dreams and hopes, our success and failures,  people we love, people we miss, our childhood memories etc... There were just so much to talk about and catch up with each other.

I celebrated my birthday with my Sis in N.Y.
In our ripe old age when we are sitting on a swing chair , I am sure we will be sharing and cherishing these fond memories of our time spent together on this trip!

Thank you, Rosie, for spending time with me and for keeping me company and helping me  in NY City!

I love you, Sis!

R.T.
July, 2013









 

No comments:

Post a Comment