Sunday 31 March 2013

I got an Alcatraz ticket on the same day of the tour!

The Alcatraz Island, San Fransisco, California


I got a ticket to Alcatraz at the last minute and paid regular price! !  Persistence pays off!

As soon as I found out I was going to San Francisco a little more than a week ago, I started making plans of what I wanted to see when I got here.
Alcatraz - an infamous Federal Prison until the 1960's
Alcatraz, America’s once most infamous prison, was on the top of my list. I read on line and learned from various travel sources and blogs that : Alcatraz is a very popular attraction and tickets are usually sold out days in advance.

While waiting for other people's response, I could not decide on which date. I figured I would buy my ticket as soon as I got to San Francisco.  On the day I arrived, I went to my hotel concierge who told me that the Alcatraz tour tickets were all sold out. The earliest I could get one would be for April 5 but I would have gone home by then!

Alcatraz - Once was used as a fortress to defend S.F.
I inquired other tour companies and was told consistently that tickets had been sold out days in advance.

However, I could get a combo tour package for $90.00 which would allow me to catch the Alcatraz tour as well as a cable car ride and another tour of which I had no interest. I kicked myself for not ordering the ticket online at least two weeks before I got here.

Feeling defeated but desiring to learn more about this infamous prison, I went to Pier 33 - Alcatraz Landing at the Fisherman Wharf. I strolled around looking at the displays, pictures and reading the explanations.

At the entrance to the ticket booth, a big sign read:

"Next Available Tour - Sunday"

It was Thursday when I went to the Alcatraz Landing at Pier 33. I was really mad at myself this time.

 
A Ranger Greeted us on the Alcatraz Island


This meant if I had come here to purchase a ticket as soon as I arrived, I could have gotten one. But I went to the hotel concierge and got the information that there were no tickets available.

Always willing to take a risk by asking, I went up to the ticket agent at the booth and asked to buy a ticket.

The same answer was given to me - all tickets were gone; the next available tour would be this Sunday.










Alcatraz- A former federal penitentiary - now part of the National Park Services


The outdoor exercise area for former inmates
The ticket agent stopped there and did not say anything else. But I saw a tiny sign on a stick in front of the ticket window. It read something like this:

"There is a limited number of tickets sold each day to visitors. It is first come first served, People must be present to purchase their tickets."

I confirmed this information with the ticket agent and she said it was true. The ticket booth would open at 7:30 a.m. but I needed to be there  bright and early as these tickets would be gone fast.

Along with other visitors like these early birds, I got a ticket to Alcatraz!
I was happy! I was determined to see Alcatraz on this trip but unwilling to pay an overpriced ticket. I went back to the hotel, set three alarms on my cell phone to wake up at 5:30am the next day.

I did wake up before the sun came up, called a taxi and got to Pier 33 at 6:10a.m. There were already people lining up for the tickets. A family with a couple of teens even brought their sleeping bags and were sleeping on the ground waiting for the ticket booth to open.

I was about the 12th person in line. Yes, I was sure I would get a ticket! As the sun started to peek through the dense morning fog, more people arrived. Some did exactly what I did; they came by taxi to ensure that they got here early enough to get a ticket.

I did get a ticket!!!

At 7:30a.m the ticket booth opened and I got a ticket to the Alcatraz at the regular price of $30.00. I was very proud of myself of getting this ticket without overpaying for it!

Other Building on the Alcatraz Island

The Alcatraz tour was an interesting one that lasted about two hours including the ferry rides.

The self guided audio tour gave a vivid recount ( including sound effects)  of the two most infamous attempted prison escapes at Alcatraz.

After the tour, visitors could take their time going through the different displays, walk on the ground, peer through the narrow secured prison windows, visit the gift shop or enjoy a picnic lunch on the dock area.

Former inmates from their cells could see and hear the sights and sounds of San Francisco across the other side.

I learned many interesting facts and myths about Alcatraz this time. Someone told me that no prisoner could escape from Alcatraz alive because of :

1. The frigid temperature of the water
2.  When prisoners jumped into the water, it sucked them down into the bottom of the water

True or myth? I don`t know. But it was surely an interesting experience at the Alcatraz!

R.T.
Alcatraz, San Francisco 

3 comments:

  1. Great Content. I appreciate getting this reliable information from you.
    Thanks for sharing this tour. I love reading your posts. They are inspiring. I have some relevant information you can review below.
    Alcatraz Tours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell me if you buy ticket for Alcatraz from Pier 33 or Pier 39.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete